Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • BBQ recommendations £100?
  • ElShalimo

We need a new BBQ, budget is £100.
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks

Edric64
    Free Member

An oil drum cut in half ,the other half is the lid

ElShalimo

Sounds good to me but not sure the aesthetic will pass muster

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

John Lewis have a Webber kettle replica. Probably available elsewhere cheaper but thought I’d mention it

Kryton57

I’d invest that £100 successfully to make £250 then go an buy a Webber. Honestly, they are wondourously good.

footflaps

Webber Charcoal is under £100. Excellent piece of kit.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not quite £100 but I have been impressed with this http://www.diy.com/departments/kinley-charcoal-kettle-barbecue/291027_BQ.prd

Instant lighting chimney, really solid build, cooks nice and evenly and has a cutting board that lifts up revealing a bin (or as I am using it, a beer storage unit) 🙂

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I have no idea if they are any good or not but when I was in B&Q the other week picking up some timber I noticed they had loads of BBQ’s on sale – like really cheap and they looked pretty good to me.
    Worth a look

ElShalimo

Thanks

superfli
    Free Member

I recently bought this camping BBQ which I’d happily use at home because its marvelous!
    Son Of Hibachi £70

It is truly brilliant. lights and is ready to cook in just a few mins, extinguishes and cleans itself in a few mins too, then just put into the heatproof carry case. Can also save the part used coals for another time. Can use it like an oven too (with one side folded down)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_CNazAOnUc[/video]

stumpy01

Having grumbled about the rip-off prices of Weber BBQs for years and how they are just the same as the B&Q etc. kettle BBQs, we got bought a Weber as a wedding present.

Ha! I was such an idiot for grumbling about them all the time – it is soooo much better than the cheaper crap BBQs I’ve owned. Feels like it will last for years and years, sturdy, goes together easily.

This is the one we got:

http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-compact-57cm-charcoal-bbq-black.asp

along with the waterproof cover (well worth it) and we also bought one of those quick start BBQ chimneys which works very well.

Kryton57

BBQ chimneys which works very well.

The best invention, ever.

robdob
    Free Member

Weber any day of the week. I used to sell BBQ’s and I wouldn’t have anything else for less than £100. Ours is 8 years old and still looks new.
    57cm is ok for a family and more, I’ve cooked for 15 people on one no problem.

everyone
    Free Member

Without wanting to sound like a pleb but what’s the point in spending £100 on a BBQ when you can get a perfectly decent one for £30?

What’s the added value?

andyl
    Free Member

I would go for the Weber I posted over the 57cm weber. We picked it up in B&Q on sale 2 years ago for £50ish. Its the same as the more expensive model but without the lever handle on the bottom vent and the thermometer. Much deeper than the smaller model.

everyone – I bought a cheap £30 weber clone. It started to look tatty after one year, the poorly chromed bits started to rust, the plastic handles broke by the end of the 2nd summer, the vent screws went rusty and jammed, I ended up leaving it at my flat I rent out for the tenants to use. Weber still looks like new after 2 years and it’s nice and big. My only regret is not buying a higher model weber as it will last so long.

stumpy01

andyl – Member

I would go for the Weber I posted over the 57cm weber.

The one you posted to does appear to be a 57cm model?
    It looks like a deeper version of the one I’ve got – same basic one with no thermometer or other gubbins.
    What are the advantages of the extra depth? Perhaps good for cooking large bits of meat with the lid on?

everyone – Member

Without wanting to sound like a pleb but what’s the point in spending £100 on a BBQ when you can get a perfectly decent one for £30?

What’s the added value?

As per Andyl really….
    I bought a cheap kettle BBQ years ago & in under a yr it was rusting badly (even though it was kept in a shed), it was always a bit wobbly, the handle on the lid went very brittle (due to the heat, perhaps) and broke in two & the wheels just screwed on with nuts & bolts – no washers or bushes so didn’t actually turn, you just dragged them across the ground.

The Weber I linked to isn’t massively more expensive than the cheap one I bought, but infinitely better.

johndoh
    Free Member

you can get a perfectly decent one for £30?

Features, build quality, ability to cook well.

And for some, Brand.

footflaps

Our Webber lives outside 24/7, 2 years old (I think), one small rust spot on the rim, but in very good nick.

ransos
    Free Member

My “perfectly decent” £30 barbecue rusted through. Replaced with a Weber for less than £100 which we’ve had for years and is in perfect nick.

andyl
    Free Member

The one you posted to does appear to be a 57cm model?
    It looks like a deeper version of the one I’ve got – same basic one with no thermometer or other gubbins.
    What are the advantages of the extra depth? Perhaps good for cooking large bits of meat with the lid on?

so it is. I was getting confused by the measurements given.

Ours is definitely deeper, I’ve not seen it on other sites. Definitely looks a lot bigger than the compact one and has swallowed a whole chicken and lots of other stuff no problem. Was thinking about sticking a stove thermometer on the lid.

toby1

Without wanting to sound like a pleb but what’s the point in spending £100 on a BBQ bike when you can get a perfectly decent one for £30?

Or something along those lines.

I have a non Weber trolley BBQ from B&Q and it’s alright, but I would always suggest people get a Weber, this one has a wonky lid, lift off no hinges, no thermometer, is on the second handle after the first melted off (second one also not all that secure).

So although I don’t have a weber I know what I’ll be buying next time.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Have a look at Dancook BBQ’s. My wife bought me a Dancook 1800 Charcoal BBQ 8 years ago and its been fantastic. It cooks very very well and still looks good as new despite sitting outside uncovered for 8 years.

They do less expensive versions too. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another dancook.

Dancook

binners

Pfft!

+

Clobber
    Free Member

weber, that is all

jaylittle
    Free Member

I went down the oil drum route, spent about £150 but when it’s complete this will also include a rotisserie.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Son of Hibachi here too! Fantastic bit of kit. Love the fact you can just close it, put it in the bag and take it home without having to wait for it to cool. Great for trips to the beach, camping, picnics etc.

ElShalimo

Gary_M – Member
    Have a look at Dancook BBQ’s. My wife bought me a Dancook 1800 Charcoal BBQ 8 years ago and its been fantastic. It cooks very very well and still looks good as new despite sitting outside uncovered for 8 years

Great tip, they’ve got a 15yr guarantee. That’s longer the the life expectancy of anyone eating my food!!

chewkw
    Free Member

superfli – Member

I recently bought this camping BBQ which I’d happily use at home because its marvelous!
    Son Of Hibachi £70

That Son of Hibachi looks good. :mrgreen:

MrNutt
    Free Member

a few pallets, a few bits of angle iron with some half decent heavy gauge metal wire and there you go, Asado.

if you’re looking for inspiration watch Chef’s Table (Netflix) Francis Mallmann the episode.

chewkw
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member

a few pallets, a few bits of angle iron with some half decent heavy gauge metal wire and there you go, Asado.

Is that long pig? 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

this population exposition won’t control itself you know.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘BBQ recommendations £100?’ is closed to new replies.