Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • BBQ
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

So this weekend I shall be placing a sausage on the coals as a sacrifice to the rain gods and firing up the barbie.

What is your very favorite BBQ marinade or recipe?

Ta

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Leg of lamb de-boned and opened out flat, smothered in mint sauce and olive oil, seasoned and wrapped in foil. Throw in on and leave it on there for an hour or two.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

First BBQ was this weekend at Brechfa

Favourite items to cook?

Steak – Sirloin. Rare. In fact, not beyond the help of a good vet.
    Sausages – Must be high quality ones
    Asparagus – Bit of oil on ’em and bosh. Grilled goodness.

yossarian
    Free Member

Prawns marinated overnight in sesame oil, lime juice, minced ginger and chilli. Stick em on skewers and pop a bottle of beer.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Asparagus – Bit of oil on ’em and bosh. Grilled goodness.

I did these for the first time last year… sweet mother of jebus they tasted fantastic. Thanks for reminding me about that one 🙂

Just reminded me to also pop round to my BILs house and pick a very nice gas Weber that he’s ‘throwing out’ becuase the piezo igniter has stopped working 😀 (too much money bless him)
    Not quite sure what I’m going to do with it as the last one [large triple burner job) I took off his skip 5 years ago is still perfect (that one had gone mouldy over the winter…..shame!)

uplink
    Free Member

Spatchcocked chicken marinated and constantly basted with an Oliver recipe sauce

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/best-barbecued-meat-and-homemade-barbecue-sauce-recipe/index.html

spacemonkey

Chinese-style marinade that works a treat on ribs and any chicken pieces:

Mainly consists of 5-spice/dark soy/chilli/garlic/ginger

Home-made burgers are a must as well; beef, pork/beef and lamb. Use oyster sauce, ketchup and an egg to bind (no need for salt). Then just add diced onions, seasoning and fresh herbs of choice.

Milkie
    Free Member

Last year we pretty much smoked everything using Hickory wood, soaked in water for 30-60 minutes.

The best meat was a rack of lamb with the Hickory wood. Roasted Cauliflower was also damn good on the BBQ.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Prawns skewered with mango, mint other veg and slivers of chilli covered in sweet chilli sauce. Had it last weekend while at a great campsite near winlatter.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

very nice gas Weber

That’s not BBQ’ing, that’s just cooking outside!.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

very nice gas Weber

+1!

MAN MAKE FIRE! MAN COOK FLESH! GNAAAAR!

IHN

Pork belly, sliced, au naturel. Mmm, crispy chewy juicy goodness….

sharkbait
    Free Member

I shall hang my head in shame during the time I save waiting for the charcoal to heat up.

sharkbait – Member

I shall hang my head in shame during the time I save waiting for the charcoal to heat up, not waiting quite long enough though and burning the first batch of meat. It’s ok though, cos I’ll stick the second batch on and wait for an eternity for it to cook on the slowly dying embers

FTFY

sharkbait
    Free Member

I shall hang my head in shame during the time I save waiting for the charcoal to heat up, not waiting quite long enough though and burning the first batch of meat. It’s ok though, cos I’ll stick the second batch on and wait for an eternity for it to cook on the slowly dying embers – well I would have done but it started to rain and my wife’s now blaming me for not buying one of those gas bbq things

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>a very nice gas Weber<

What is this ‘gas’ you speak of Earthling?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Everyone uses gas here as charcoal barbies are a fire risk. Nowt wrong with a gas barbie. Just going out to get some seafood to have a bit of a cook up tonight once it cools down. Standing in 35c sun and in front of the barbie is too much.

Cooking up the bacon, sausages and eggs on a Sunday morning is quite nice too (and no, the eggs don’t run through the bars, there’s a hot plate).

joolsburger
    Free Member

No. Just no. Gas is not a barbie.

A charcoal weber is ready to cook indirect in 20 minues and directly around 20 minutes later. If you know what you are doing and have a hinged grill you can keep it at working temp all day without any trouble.

fennesz
    Free Member

+1 for the gas grills & what Aphex said about standing in v hot sun. We use ours loads (4 times a week). & while I’ll say charcoal may make nicer/tastier food, I really, really can’t be arsed with it.

Weber Genesis 4 eva.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

2 lemons grate the zest then squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze the juice out tonnes of cracked black pepper then chuck over chicken pieces and marinade over night, the lemon juice starts the cooking process just whack on the barby nice summer dish, wash down with 14 litres of a nice chilled Chablis….

…..done! :mrgreen:

hels
    Free Member

Big fat juicy Scallops.

joolsburger
    Free Member

scallops

BigJohn

Bung a couple of onions in a liquidiser with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar, white wine and oil. No salt. Marinade cubes of flesh for as long as you can then stick on skewers and grill.

The acid really penetrates more than most marinades which really don’t do anything.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I do like using charcoal and the taste may be better but if we stuck with just that I’d say we’d only have 1/4 of the BBQs we do with gas. i.e. quick sausage butties for the kids at lunchtime, cooking fish on it for my/Mrs SB tea, bacon butties in the morning – these wouldn’t happen if I had to get the charcoal out and wait 30-40 mins every time.
    Open lid, click click, 5 mins later your cooking.

SiB
    Free Member

And now for desserts……

unpeeled banana, cut lengthways with a knife but not all the way through and not cmpletely end to end, cut enough to sfuff it with chocolate buttons, wrap in foil, throw on bbq for 10mins……careful opening as that there chocoalte can get quite hot, great for kids too (not to wrap them in foil and throw on bbq, great dessert for kids!)

joolsburger
    Free Member

Chocolate bananas can be made for adults as above but put in dark chocolate with orange and finish with a bit of Grand Marnier or brandy

Hohum
    Free Member

Home-made chicken kebabs.

The best marinade I have found has been some Fajita mix. Chop up the chicken, mixed peppers, mushrooms and onions put them on the skewers and leave them to marinate overnight and them cook them on the BBQ the next day, lovely.

toby1

Ba$tards – now I’m desperate to get my first BBQ (Charcoal of course) mouth is literally watering ….

sharkbait
    Free Member

now I’m desperate to get my first BBQ (Charcoal of course

Sucker. Wait ’til it rains on your bbq after you’ve finished and you’ve got to scrape the soggy/gooey charcoal mess out before you can load it up again. 😉

uplink
    Free Member

I do like using charcoal and the taste may be better but if we stuck with just that I’d say we’d only have 1/4 of the BBQs we do with gas. i.e. quick sausage butties for the kids at lunchtime, cooking fish on it for my/Mrs SB tea, bacon butties in the morning – these wouldn’t happen if I had to get the charcoal out and wait 30-40 mins every time.
    Open lid, click click, 5 mins later your cooking.

Now I forget who it was but ………….

After showing his old dad around his new house and garden complete with gas BBQ etc. The old man commented “Very nice son, I remember the days when we used to cook inside and shite outside”

toby1

Sucker. Wait ’til it rains on your bbq after you’ve finished and you’ve got to scrape the soggy/gooey charcoal mess out before you can load it up again.

It’s got a lid – and I’m going to make it live in the shed – not that it’s been bad, just to keep the lawnmower company!

I like a Gas bbq too – you can use it far more regularly, but it lacks the entertainment/disaster element of a charcoal bbq though 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

BBQ…. check
    lawnmower…..check
    disaster/entertainment element……..

…….check
    😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I suppose if you’re only using it once or twice a year you may as well faff about with charcoal :p When we use them 3 or 4 times a week you soon appreciate a decent gas bbq.

Sharkbait, whereabouts in Oz are you?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Haha…… sunny Chester mate…. so a bit of a drive from Oz (but my brothers in perth if that counts!)
    😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

And to be fair since the op the weathers been spot on!! Roll on barbecued Easter eggs!!!!!!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Warning! Victor Meldrew approaching…

I can’t stand the smell of other people’s BBQs. For one thing they tend to go with noisy outdoor drunkenness, and for another, it means I have to put the washing in the machine AGAIN 👿

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘BBQ’ is closed to new replies.