Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • bbc4 now, the ride of my life
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not my choice of colour scheme but wouldn't it be nice to have a bike built to measure like that….

ton

i am moving to portland…………….ladies walking round wearing nowt but sparkies tape 😉

disben

good programme! – whole evening of cyling programmes!

good good!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

A month and I'll be in Portland. Yahoo!

mt
    Free Member

Wow what a great nights tv, it's Tom Simpson now. this will break your heart.

grumm
    Free Member

Great programme – I would have wanted to build it myself though.

Kuco

Thought it odd Chris King doesn't do interviews.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Shame the end result was so utterly gopping…

hopster
    Free Member

For the roadies me included. Tom Simpson is on. Either a great or a terrible way to go depending on your point of view. Put me back on my bike is a great book.

Pigface
    Free Member

Great show

Kevevs
    Free Member

great eh. loads of good telly about BIKES! thumbs up 🙂

speaker2animals

A great nights TV. And a history programme about the cycle after the Tom Simpson prog. What is the world coming to?

Being a Potter I had goosebumps and my hair was standing on end when he was at Rourkies.

How chilled is Gravy?

Loved what I could see of the paint job on that Pinarello when he was riding with the Cinelli people.

Kelly and Breeze. The guy with the collection of original cruisers. Amazing.

And for the first time I have seemsomewhere that I would love to live. What can you say about Portland. Suddenly need to visit it.

rOcKeTdOg

great programme, i used nearly a full box of tissues!

cinnamon_girl

I need to go back to the Welsh borders – awesome scenery and awesome hills. 8)

Ah, there was an article in The Times a few weeks ago by Rob Penn. Really enjoyed the programme, well presented by a pretty natural presenter. How could it not inspire folk to get on two wheels?

DezB
    Free Member

Just finished watching it on a bit of a delay… excellent stuff, even mrs dezb was interested!
    Nice to see the finished article even if it was a road bike.
    Aren't bicycles great?!

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I feel ashamed reading this. I'm a roadie…obviously…and I thought it was a dull programme by a dull bloke who eventually made a bike which just didn't look particularly 'together'…it just looked like a mish mash of very expensive components which just didn't sit together so well.

I'd have liked to know more about WHY he chose the bits he did…I mean I know it was all supposed to be 'the best money could buy' for his dream bike but things like DT rims over Mavic…why? Why no ceramic rims if he wanted a bike that would 'last'. Anyway…not my problem, I don't have to ride it so I probably shouldn't be so critical.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I enjoyed the programme & thought the presenter was genuinely enthusiastic about both the hobby & his build.

However, i have to agree that the finished article did look a bit 'dull'.

For £4K i expected something special & unique, what we saw looked rather like any other slightly old fashioned tourer albeit with top end kit.

grahamt1980

Thought the brooks looked a bit odd on there, maybe a different style would have been better. I liked the clunkers bit

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just checked this out again on iplayer. Two of my Scottish pals are racing in the clip following repack 34.20 and 34.25. Classic neon tartan lycra and See You Jimmy helmet covers. Got to be about 1990.

mefty
    Free Member

Rob has always been enthusiastic – there is a book based on the TV program or vice versa – see here.

Woody
    Free Member

Thank god for iplayer.

That was superb.

ahwiles
    Free Member

roadie_in_denial – Member

I know it was all supposed to be 'the best money could buy'

no, no it wasn't.

he said so at the beginning – he just wasnted the best part for the bike (subtle difference).

but yes, more reasoning would have been good – for example, he chose continental tyres for sentimental reasons.

Great to see 'Breeze and 'Kelly still riding – fast too! and bouncing up from crashes…

Reluctant
    Free Member

Wot no Shimano? 😥 Each to their own, i guess.
    Good programme, great to see Rob P wearing a Retrobike T on the box and good exposure for bikes and cycling in general – more please!

TooTall
    Free Member

OK – I'll say it.

Did you see the skanky helmet he wore at the end? £4k of bike, Rapha shorts and the nastiest old helmet I've seen in years on his head. It looked odd as well – steel frame, carbon front end and the Brooks saddle that'll take him a year to break in.

Still – it made him happy – but the helmet was rubbish.

hopster
    Free Member

Wot no Shimano? Each to their own, i guess.

Did you see the guy riding the steel Pinarello when they took a ride past the lake. He had Shimano on his bike and it looked well shonky as well.

allthepies
    Free Member

I liked the way they made a big play of showing him paying for all of the components, probably to pre-empt whinges about getting a free bike courtesy of the beeb.

Good programme though!

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, I noticed the special needs helmet, too. Weird.

Good programme, though – seemed strange that he was going to places and then negotiating for a tour / interview. He does know they have telephones in Italy, doesn't he?

Rachel

DezB
    Free Member

Still – it made him happy – but the helmet was rubbish.

I noticed that, made me smile. I got the impression that the bike he built was slightly out of character to his normal riding persona. (ie. a bit shonky) 🙂

hopster
    Free Member

Shonky bike aside I thought the programme was interesting. Loved the bit in Portland. Now why isn't Bristol my 'cycling City' like that and I don't mean the ladies half naked asking for people to draw on her.

Sam

Looked like it was a 953 frame – should have left it raw IMO. Overall an interesting programme though.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Chain looked too long…..

warton
    Free Member

didn't like the wheels, spoilt the bike. black groupset = black rims. I liked the brooks though,thinking about getting one now, and what a place for a first ride!!!!

DenDennis
    Free Member

excellent programme overall I thought.
    agreed brooks saddle looked a bit 'heritage' next to modern stuff.
    didnt catch what forks he got or what hubs- dont think they were record but could have been???
    the old dudes from klunkerz were still ripping the corners pretty well.
    did anyone else think that art student's puppies looked rather fake?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I mean I know it was all supposed to be 'the best money could buy' for his dream bike

He said at the start of the program that the components were the ones he wanted and not necessarily the best money can buy.
    Really enjoyed the program. Seat looked odd on the bike though.

StirlingCrispin

I've just bought the book – and really enjoying it.

Personally, I'd have gone for Phil Wood hubs…

spacemonkey

Was a tidy little programme I thought. Even the missus enjoyed it.

I agree the end product seemed a bit "out of sorts," but if every part is genuinely his choice then that's his prerogative, and surely he has his reasons. Especially if he's going to cycle round the world again.

DezB
    Free Member

didnt catch what forks he got or what hubs

Front hub was a Royce. British made I believe. So he probably bought it here and took it with him and they edited that bit out.

chakaping
    Free Member

I'm not a roadie, I don't know much at all about road bikes, but I know the carbon bars on a retro-style steel frame looked very wrong.

Didn't spoil my enjoyment of a nice show though.

That wheelbuilder had better be good if he's going to compare himself to Michelangelo though!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I forgot to check if he alligned his logos and valves…

Woody
    Free Member

As Allthegear has said, the only disappointing thing for me was the lack of seeing around the Campag and CK factories. Surely it would have been quite easy, with a little bit of planning, to have shown a bit more without jeopardising 'secrets' – or do they have something else to hide? Big as they are, I can't believe either company would pass up a golden marketing opportunity like that unless they had been given virtually no notice.

I have a feeling that there was a lot that had to be left on the cutting room floor to to fit into an hour and interest a wider audience. Maybe there could be an extended 'geek' version?

Still really enjoyed it though and I would like to see more from Mr Penn as his enthusiasm and obvious enjoyment of cycling is infectious and judging by the climb he did he's obviously bloody fit. I wonder if the Italians tried to drop him ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘bbc4 now, the ride of my life’ is closed to new replies.