Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • BBC4 now – Storyville – From the Sea to the Land Beyond
  • wallop

Anyone watching this? It’s quite mesmerising. I’m really enjoying the soundtrack – written especially by British Sea Power, apparently – I really hope it gets released.

zippykona

Top viewing. I never begrudge paying my licence fee.
    More Bbc more,as they used to say.

wallop

That really was superb. I’ll post an iPlayer link when it’s up.

wallop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nyz3p/Storyville_20112012_From_the_Sea_to_the_Land_Beyond_Britains_Coast_on_Film/

Storyville: Made from over 100 years of BFI archive footage, From the Sea to the Land Beyond offers a poetic meditation on Britain’s unique coastline and the role it plays in our lives. With a soundtrack specially created by Brighton-based band British Sea Power, award-winning director Penny Woolcock’s film offers moving testimony to our relationship to the coast – during wartime, on our holidays and as a hive of activity during the industrial age.

Recommended

maccruiskeen

Its getting repeated on BBC4 on weds night at midnight

noteeth
    Free Member

Caught this last night.

Superb film – haunting and evocative, with a top soundtrack.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Watched it for about five minutes and then turned-off because of the soundtrack.

noteeth
    Free Member

Watched it for about five minutes and then turned-off because of the soundtrack.

ha 😀

Admittedly, the sound:imagery juxtaposition was a little odd in places – especially when BSP started crooning about the seaside. But the brassy bit during the ship launch was fantastic.

wallop

I thought the soundtrack was wicked. They are playing a gig in Bristol in a couple of weeks:

http://christmasspiegeltent.co.uk/whats-on/british-sea-power-with-solarference/

noteeth
    Free Member

The Spiegeltent! Lots going on there, it seems.

Just checked: whatever track kicks in at about 41 mins, it’s absolutely immense – like Sigur Ros crossed with a northern colliery brass band.

wallop

Yep – Public Service Broadcasting also doing a gig in there – just booking tickets!

noteeth
    Free Member

Those who enjoyed this excellent film may care to note that the DVD is released tomorrow.

I hope BSP issue the soundtrack as an album.

wallop

Soundtrack being released tomorrow too 8)

wallop

No, ignore me – I misread the email. Damnit! 👿

noteeth
    Free Member

Ah, good stuff. Looking forward to hearing it again (and again). 😀

Edit: ah well. Time to wire up the laptop to the hi-fi…

noteeth
    Free Member

Bump… the soundtrack has now been released. 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘BBC4 now – Storyville – From the Sea to the Land Beyond’ is closed to new replies.