• This topic has 27 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bbc4 – k2 Killer Summit
  • trailhound
    Free Member

Superb!

BoomBip
    Free Member

Gripping is an understatement…

slowoldman

Very good. Nice to see a lack of sensationalism and finger pointing.

large418
    Free Member

Bloody scary stuff though seeing people slide past to their deaths! I wasn’t sure how much was reconstruction and how much original filming – even so it was gripping!

P20

Stunning and horrific. Brilliant

kimbers

slowoldman – Member
    Very good. Nice to see a lack of sensationalism and finger pointing.

I think all their fingers had snapped off!
    the korean team leader didnt come out of it well, but it seemed a cumulative errors and misfortune throughout

scary stuff

stevied
    Free Member

Had me gripped. The lure of being somewhere so amazing almost makes the risks worthwhile..
    The view of the shadow of the mountain was breathtaking.

carlos
    Free Member

Fantastic program and as above very gripping, also unsure what was original and what was reconstruction, best thing I’ve seen on TV for a while.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will look out for it, having spent an evening getting very drunk with Alan Hinks a lot is put into perspective on the big mountain game.

back2basics
    Free Member

excellent. BBC4 seems to have some of the best programs on the BBC at the moment!

atlaz
    Free Member

Got to say that it seems half of these disasters kick off with a big queue of climbers going up together at the pace of the slowest person at the front. Storyville is a fantastic documentary series (I know it’s not docs made by the BBC); they’re my lunchtime iplayer choice. Watched Blackfish (about orca who kill trainers at waterparks) and the one about Gadaffi in the last week, both superb if a bit harrowing.

eskay

It is on again on monday 10th feb.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It is on again on monday 10th feb.

Fantastic, I only caught part of it last night 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

excellent viewing.

user-removed
    Free Member

And followed by Julia Bradbury in Iceland! Great night on the telly 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

off to see if iPlayer is my friend, missed this.

Edit: yep, its on iplayer. downloading.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Managed the first 30m “live” yesterday before evening duties, Then iplayer crashed around midnight. Have a break now to catch up.

Terrible story but fascinating (so far) insight into the different teams. Not sure I would want to climb with the Dutch guys so far. Norwegians, especially the delightful Cecillie Skog, a better bet. They have the old fashioned mountaineering mentality that success is not reaching the summit, it’s getting down alive. A bit old school these days!!!

Time 33 mins for the telling commentary from Skog.

In contrast the Dutch guy seemed overly summit obsessed (fever) including over ruling advice from colleagues higher up the mountain and shouting over others in the meetings.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

In a similar vein this is also a very good documentary about the Eiger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yxqy3WdxOk

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Only the mountain knows”

Alex

Watched the Iceland prog this lunchtime. Made me very happy I’ve a trip there planned with my wife at the end of March 🙂

K2 one will watch tonight.

scuttler

Easter Island documentary was pretty ace too, also repeated a couple of times over the week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03srmm6/Easter_Island_Mysteries_of_a_Lost_World/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Didn’t bother as I assumed it was the ’86 Rouse/Tullis (and others) story, but appears that it was recently.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very sad but fascinating – and benefitted from just letting the survivors and relatives talk IMO.

Rather than talk up the epic epicness of the people and task involved I mean.

That shot of the mountain’s shadow from the summit said more than words ever could about why people risk it all to climb there.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

What a tragic story.

Excellent piece of filmmaking.

billysugger
    Free Member

Excellent programme.

Says a lot about personality types.

Not sure I could look a man in the eyes then leave him to die even if I knew the consequences of my not doing. Suppose a person would have to be put in the situation to truly find out what they’d do.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

They were late in the season to attempt a summit climb because of bad weather. They were late because the Korean leader didn’t get out his tent to lead the roping party. Snowballed from there.

tomhoward

Not sure I could look a man in the eyes then leave him to die even if I knew the consequences of my not doing. Suppose a person would have to be put in the situation to truly find out what they’d do.

My view (from the comfort of a nice warm office in the UK, admittedly) is that I would rather die on the mountain than put someone else in a position where they had to make that /\ decision, and expect my fellow climbers to think the same.

kilo

very good programme, Pemba and Favley had a book out about the expedition this year

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bbc4 – k2 Killer Summit’ is closed to new replies.