Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • BBC2 now, Monty Hall’s great escape.
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

Think he is going to be doing what I would love to, great looking area, compact home though.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I’ll have to catch it on iPlayer unless its a repeat of last weeks? What day is it again?!

Wish I could drop everything and move to somewhere like that!

SSP

grumm
    Free Member

Really enjoyed this last week. Amazing location, such a tempting idea. I imagine the reality could be quite tough though. The weather seemed to be nice suspiciously often on last week’s show. 😛

uplink
    Free Member

it was a repeat of last weeks

tomorrow @ 9 for the next episode

stumpy01

Grumm, I also thought that there was quite a lot of sunshine – there wasn’t even an overcast day! Wouldn’t fancy winter in a converted cow shed!

Looks like a great idea though. Was a good program and his dog made it all the more enjoyable – what a loon!

miketually
    Free Member

Caught part of it; looks really good. The Wife’s out tonight, so I’ll watch it on iPlayer with a whisky later on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it me, or did he not actually do much in the way of hard work himself?, he seemed to always be ‘off doing something else?!!’

Good programme though, keep it coming.

stumpy01

nobeerinthefridge, I commented on that the ‘er indoors at the time as well. Mega task required – right, the locals are doing that while I drive around some scenery in my Land Rover….oh, I mean see a man about a pig.

nickc

“the supermarket is over an hour away!”

Tosser

miketually
    Free Member

Quite enjoyed it, but he did seem to get someone else to do everything; almost had a croft delivered and built around him, while he drank coffee.

tinribz
    Free Member

Looking forward to tomorrow night but was also a bit puzzled about him spending more time in the pub getting people to do stuff for him that actually doing it.

Didn’t think you left the city to be a crofter for the social scene.

Slaughter time for the pigs is gonna be fun given the seagull saga, and I bet they have about 500 lookalikey ‘hens’ in reserve for the Reuben accidents.

And how come hardly anyone has a Scottish accent?

grumm
    Free Member

And how come hardly anyone has a Scottish accent?

Have you never been to Scotland? In the nice bits almost everyone is English. 😛

druidh
    Free Member

As that was filmed last year, I can vouch for the weather. I was on a tour of the Hebrides late May/early June and the locals told me it hadn’t rained for over 6 weeks. They were thinking of shipping water to Barra!

druidh
    Free Member

Actually, after having given this a bit of consideration, I think it was all made up. That blue sky and those views are all due to the magic of CGI.

stumpy01

Anyone watch it last night? He had a bit more ‘weather’ eventually although he was struggling for water at one point.

I must admit that I watch this program with a slight tinge of envy but can’t help thinking that it’s far easier with a TV crew behind you, and so far he has spent an awful lot, but doesn’t seem to have an income of any sort. It took him four fishing trips just to catch a couple of mackerel and he has to wait for 5 days to see if his lobster pots catch him anything!

miketually
    Free Member

It’s all very artificial anyway when he’s only doing it for six months.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Face it, the dog’s the real star of the show!

stumpy01

CFH couldn’t agree more…..especially when he nicked the bacon sarnie last week……and trying to jump off the fishing boat last night.

Yes, Miketually, it is artificial as he’s only doing it for six months. I said almost the same thing to ‘er indoors last night. Still looks great though.

miketually
    Free Member

I am very jealous.

mt
    Free Member

Agree with above, love that dog.

matt_outandabout

It is ‘fluffy’ entertainment, but great fun, amazing scenery, he seems to be genuinely taken by the place, people and life.

Mrs_Oab is relieved that our move is only Killin, not Applecross mind!!!!

miketually
    Free Member

Mrs_Oab is relieved that our move is only Killin, not Applecross mind!!!!

Aye, there’s remote and then there’s remote. Remote I’d like, but I’d like to be within reach of “civilisation”.

donald
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s a serious attempt to live a self-sufficient lifestyle. The premise is to make good TV and get enough material for a book. It’ll be the media component that makes him money – not the mackerel.

Good entertainment though.

stumpy01

donald….my point about the mackerel had nothing to do with the media side of things & making money from his ‘story’.
    But, he has gone up there to supposedly live for 6 months, enjoying the old crofting lifestyle.
    So far he has had his shack substantially renovated/his land cleared for animals to live on, had a large fence erected, bought a boat, bought some hens, pigs, goats (or are they sheep?), plus presumably feed for them and this week had solar panels, a wind turbine and a fridge installed.

I assume at some point he will be aiming to sell produce to pay for all of this? Or is this not the premise of the program? Is the aim purely to live their for six months, regardless of how much money he blows in doing so? If he carries on at this rate, he’ll have a hot tub and a sea plane before the month is out.

hugorune

I’m looking forward to next week when the midges arive! It looks like his croft is on the edge of a peat bog – midge-tastic.

As far as Scottish accents go – have you ever been to skye or mull?

matt_outandabout

Its not the premis – its a warm and fluffy program set in an amazing place. End of.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I am working on my own “Alex’s Great Escape” except I will do it properly, ie all my own work, insulate the roof, fit windows properly etc.

Infact I will do it so well the production company won’t be able to find me or their money 🙂

SSP

Gary_M
    Free Member

I watched both of the last two episodes and I’ve really enjoyed the programme. As donald it is about entertainment and not about sas survival skills. It’s interesting, the scenery is stunning and it’s in one of my favourite locations.

nickc why are you calling the guy a tosser? Seems a nice enough guy, in an entertaining enough programme.

birky
    Free Member

Do you think he’s met the neighbours yet 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Pointless programme if you ask me. Give anyone a camera team, a nice boat, all the things needed to make life comfortable (electrickery, fridge etc) and be paid for six months living beside the sea.

I really enjoyed Castaway (on the Hebridean island) which was PROPER fending for yourself. Not this half-assed attempt by a B-List celeb.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

miketually
    Free Member

Yeah, Castaway was really good. Though it has resulted in Ben Fogle being almost everywhere.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well there is THAT unforeseen problem. Still, I kinda forgive him his subsequent sins for actually taking part in such a really demanding experience in the first place.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I seem to recall one ‘experience’ he had when he found an old tea bag and he tried to make something that actually resembled tea out of it.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Agree the dog is the star. Good Sunday night TV escapism that makes you not want to go to work on monday, hes obviously got a bit of money but so what if your going to do it why not enjoy it. But i would do a bit more of the work myself, but then if i had a Landroverand a rib and that scenery i would spend all my time playing in them.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘BBC2 now, Monty Hall’s great escape.’ is closed to new replies.