Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • BBC2 HD – France – The Wild Side
  • rewski
    Free Member

Stunning

peteimpreza

Yes, amazing programme.

woody21
    Free Member

Turtles appear a little rough

Drac

Seen it the other night was amazing but the presenter was dull.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Great show. Well gel. France really does have it all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up, off to download from iPlayer

singletrackmind

brilliantly filmed documentary . Super jealous of the diversity france seems to have. Those stags were stunning.

slowoldman

Some of it was done for effect though. I doubt those climbers were “really” doing the route to get a look at the bird, or that they would be mad enough to camp on a portaledge just below the top of the Verdon Gorge. There are good campsites and bars a stone’s throw away.

Still, some nice stuff to look at.

hora
    Free Member

Love it. A real (should be fairly obvious) eye opener as to what is literally on our doorstep for holidays rather than the need for longhaul..

NigE5
    Free Member

I thought it was very dated for a wild life doc. I am sure the BBC would not fly towards a group of roosting vultures just to scare them off the rocks, on the whole very ponderous. Not convinced by the bear either, in the wild they are very few around in France not the type to amble up the a waiting camera man (or person)

natrix
    Free Member

I thought that the camera work was incredible, would love to know how they did it, pity there wasn’t a bit at the end showing how they set up the cameras etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice programme, even nicer to have a narrator other than “You Know Who”

Proper country, proper people.

I can highly recommend the Vosages.

Stoner
    Free Member

Downloaded this to watch on the train this morning. Couldn’t make it more than 15minutes before the awful script and Paul McGann’s delivery got too much to bear. Deleted it. A waste of some quite good photography in parts.

Bring back “you know who” or at least an intelligent script writer/director who doesn’t insist natural history programs have to be light entertainment rather than informative.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

literally on our doorstep

REALLY? 😯

jon1973
    Free Member

Well, literally within a 10 hour drive.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, not actually literally then…

pondo

It’s more literally on the nation’s collective doorstep than literally anywhere else. Literally.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think we need “hora” to adjudicate on this one. When he’s finished using his hands…

Edukator
    Free Member

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you. Why?

If you are in the UK and see this message please read this advice.

Go to the BBC iPlayer Radio homepage

As it can’t be viewed in France, I’m intrigued. Did they admit that the Pyrenean bears are Slovenian and the wolves are back after years of absence which makes bureaucrats in Paris happy and people in the areas they’re invading upset at losing their livelihood?

jon1973
    Free Member

I watched a very good documentary about Yellowstone park where they explored the same issues around the re-introduction of wolves back in to parts of the park, which caused major problems for a lot of the farmers in the area.

Bimbler
    Free Member

How Wolves Change Rivers, this is amazing

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q[/video]

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’m intrigued. Did they admit that the Pyrenean bears are Slovenian and the wolves are back after years of absence

I’m intrigued, do bears have nationality?

jon1973
    Free Member

Slovenia is part of the EU so they have every right to be there.

Edukator
    Free Member

Genetically they do.

Yellowstone is a national park where a decision has been made not to manage either landscape or biodiversity. If we wish to maintain the current managed landscapes of the southern Alps then grazing sheep at altitude is part of the management. Remove the sheep and instead of a mix of prairie and woodland you just get woodland. We’ll see what happens but I predict that the arrival of the wolves will drive the shepherds out and the high altitude prairies will be lost.

Edit: the Slovenian bears aren’t very good mountaineers and seem reluctant to adopt the same habitats the native bears did.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Genetically brown bears = brown bears. On a population level they’re identical. Given similar environment the Slovenian (Brown) bears (you can almost feel your distaste) will become just as adept as the Alpine (Brown) bears were.

The rest of your post is based on your “prediction”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yellowstone is managed quite a lot afaik.

Anyway, interested to see whose livelihood has actually been lost as a result of wolves?

Edukator
    Free Member

Eskimos and black Africans, both homo sapiens but with minor genetic difference, each better adapted to their local habitat. Just like pyrenean and Slovenian bears.

The livelihood of shepherds has changed. The wolves made their work uneconomical so the authorities have stepped in with compensation for livestock losses and subsidies for protection measures:

Both sides of the argument

following bears thank to genetic differences between pyrenean and slovene bears

Bimbler
    Free Member

Eskimos and black Africans, both homo sapiens but with minor genetic difference, each better adapted to their local habitat. Just like pyrenean and Slovenian bears.

The bears will adapt in a couple of generations. 4‰ of Alaskan population is African American.

slowoldman

We’d be better off without all this flora and fauna filling the place up. Lets have glass domes and Soylent Green.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘BBC2 HD – France – The Wild Side’ is closed to new replies.