Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • BBC Television Centre
  • Harry_the_Spider

…has broadcast it’s last programme.

Found these pictures of it on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-18627051

kayak23

Interesting story. Must have been quite something to work there.

maccruiskeen

A friend of mine worked on the last shot of the last scene of the last drama to be filmed there.

That said, the likelihood is that it’ll continue to be TV studios, just leased by production companies (including the BBC) rather than owned by the beeb.

boblo
    Free Member

I did some work there and up the road in White City a couple of years ago. It was like being transported back to my childhood with the Blue Peter garden etc. Apparently, the TV Centre site is 7 acres so kerching kerching.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I worked there for about 6 months in 1997 (on the switchboard – with the death of Diana it was an interesting time to be taking calls from the public)

It was an amazing place – I often just used to wonder around at lunchtime, peeking into studios, spotting newsreaders and kids tv presenters , checking out the blue Peter garden etc

I think it’s a very poor decision – and one the corporation will come to regret in time

martinhutch

Even though I only worked there in the newsroom for a few years, It’s a very sad day.

I also used to wander the corridors – when you’re just walking along and the Two Ronnies pass either side of you, it’s a slightly surreal experience. One day you’d sneak in to watch a live recording of a big entertainment show, the next a well-known sitcom.

There was such an excitement about the place, perhaps because it was bound up with childhood memories of watching Blue Peter, TOTP or Swap Shop.

I can understand why it wasn’t exactly fit for purpose – the studios and technology were ancient, the place was a rabbit warren of old pipework and dingy corridors.

But I’d go as far as to say it is as important a part of our national identity as any number of older, grander buildings.

Very sad.

mefty
    Free Member

That said, the likelihood is that it’ll continue to be TV studios, just leased by production companies (including the BBC) rather than owned by the beeb.

I think Imperial College is planning to redevelop it into a new campus.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

TVC is going to be your typical ‘mixed use’ development. The centre ring is listed and will become flats and a hotel. The buildings around the periphery (drama block, restaurant block, car park, east tower etc) get knocked down and replaced by ‘luxury apartments’. Imperial apparently have designs on the area but not TVC.

Of the current 10 studios I think just the 3 largest will remain to be run by BBC Studios (moving to Elstree in the short term but back in a couple of years). The newest part ‘stage 6’, where News were based (and which was bombed by the IRA) gets a refurb and becomes the base for BBC Worldwide and other office space.

It was a privilege to have worked there – it’s the only one of the BBC’s London buildings where you are always aware that you’re working for a broadcaster.

samuri
    Free Member

It was an amazing place – I often just used to wonder around at lunchtime, peeking into studios, spotting newsreaders and kids tv presenters

I dread to think what you saw going on in some rooms.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘BBC Television Centre’ is closed to new replies.