Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • BBC Sports Personality of the Year
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Has to be Cavendish doesnt it.

MrSparkle

No. It has to be whoever the Beeb have already decided it’s going to be.

megastream
    Free Member

On this site it will be, but not according to the bobsleightrackworld.com, it’s Amy Williams. But then the golftrackworld.com site reckons it’s Graeme McDowell

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is he well-known outside of cycling, by the general public?

Not really.

Personally, I’d go with Amy Williams, for getting the whole nation watching one of the most obscure sports ever, and for being humble, gracious and just genuinely likeable, or Phil ‘The Power’ Taylor, for being a FIFTEEN time World Champion.

Anyone over a flipping golfer though.

iDave
    Free Member

The jockey. Whichever one it is, not based on his personality but on the beeb deciding already due to his performances/status, like Giggs last year. Mark my words.

kierank
    Free Member

Tony Mccoy

Drac

I’d say Amy Williams too for same reasons as Elfin gives. Why vote on them just because it’s your chosen sport?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My betting is on the jockey too. But Tom Daley winning it would do great things for gay rights.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Amazing how good we are at Cycling in this country yet the people who are good get next to no recognition. Emma Pooley World TT Champion, Tracey Mosley, World Cup Champ.. Gee Atherton World DH Champion.

I kind of annoys me that these people are so dedicated yet get next to nothing for it.

Kit
    Free Member

I kind of annoys me that these people are so dedicated yet get next to nothing for it.

Apart from the immense respect, adoration, and idolisation of them by people who actually watch and support them instead of Joe Public who don’t give a toss?

Dibbs
    Free Member

The name “Sports Personality” makes me laugh, a lot of these people appear to have all the personality of a dead halibut 🙄

Edric64
    Free Member

They don’t get next to nothing, they get paid quite well for turning a hobby into a job(with lots of talent and dedication)

jonb
    Free Member

At least Cavendish has a personality. Not sure who’ll win but at least there are no wendyball players in there. Several times genuine sports personalities have not won it because there was a footballer in there. Never really go over the year when Ellen MacArthur was beaten by Beckham.

bruk

I reckon it might be AP McCoy’s year, Cav’s chances are down because of Hoy with the general public I would reckon.

As long as it isn’t some god awful golfer I don’t mind.

backhander
    Free Member

Gotta take issue with darts being called a sport, but tht’a just my opinion.
    Amy Williams for me. Please.

lister

“Gotta take issue with darts being called a sport”

yeah, curse all that hand-eye coordination and accuracy and concentration and practise needed to get good at it…how is it different to the olympic sport of Archery? (except it has the benefit of being playable in a pub?)

😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Round here archery and shooting are pub sports too though.

Bunnyhop

Another vote for Amy Williams here.

allthepies
    Free Member

Swanny! At least he has some personality.

turin
    Free Member

I think it will probably be the cricketer what with the ashes happening right now. Maybe if the programme was closer to the winter Olypics Amy might have won, same for Cavendish if it had been after the Tdf the general public would have these people in the front of whats left of their minds but they are unfortunately too much of a minority sport to the masses.

samcamsdad

its got to be the power! 15 times world champ, and actualy has a personality.

philconsequence
    Free Member

who’s cavendish?

who’s the power taylor?

who’s mcdowell?

whos the jocky?

who’s mccoy?

if i have to google them then their press agents haven’t done their job…. amy however i’ve seen on tv quite a bit. therefore she has to win.

pete0
    Free Member

Will be Tom Daley, followed by Lee Westwood and David haye. The others haven’t done enough or come from minority sports. It’s too early for for the cricketer they haven’t won yet.

MartynS

I think Jess Ennis should win it….

backhander
    Free Member

yeah, curse all that hand-eye coordination and accuracy and concentration and practise needed to get good at it.

No more than say call of duty.
    I’m not taking anything away from the blokes skill but a game does not equals a sport.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s on Sky SPORTS.

Garry_Lager

David Haye? You must be joking – he might be a great personality but his stock is way way down after the Audley fiasco.

Would like to see The Power win it – Phil wobbling up to collect the prize in front of the finest physical specimens our nation has to offer would be pretty funny. He deserves it anyhow tbh – 15 world titles at what is a popular sport that everyone has played at some point deserves recognition.

backhander
    Free Member

It’s on Sky SPORTS.

So is WWE.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

WWE is real man! It’s WFW that’s got all the actors.

Ah…the arrows. 😀

matthewjb
    Free Member

Surely to win the sport has to have lots of coverage on the BBC.

So that rules Cav out.

So it will probably be an Olympic sport. So that’s Amy Williams.

Team award will go to the Golfers.

convert

Would like to see The Power win it – Phil wobbling up to collect the prize in front of the finest physical specimens our nation has to offer would be pretty funny.

I’ve always thought the potential idea of a darts player winning a sports award a terrible indictment for our national. It’s so not a REAL sport (like shooting, archery and anything with the word dance in it). But now you have put it like that – watching a couple of hundred honed athletes who to a man I expect think like me having to grit their teeth and applaud the wobbly bellied hobbyist would be very funny.

amplebrew

I don’t follow road cycling and what I do know comes from a mate in work who follows it religiously.

From the very little I’ve been told about Cav, he sounds a bit big headed and cocky.

My mate may not be a fan though, so I might be getting a biased view from him.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

If Darts isn’t a sport, is Archery a sport?
    What about shooting or snooker?

Just because darts is associated with pubs doesn’t stop it being a Sport.
    There are many definitions of “sport” and most centre around a set of rules, skill and competition.

convert

Darts – no
    Archery – no
    Shooting – no
    snooker – no

My rules of what makes a sport are to do well you have sweat (and not through tension or any of that bollocks) and you can’t do it in jeans. I also normally add some rubbish about having a definitive scoring system (faster, higher, further, goal etc) rather than subjective scoring like surfing or ice dancing. But I don’t get to make the rules.

ratadog

SPOTY to AP McCoy, team to golfers.

Think it should go to someone who achieves something in particular that year on the back of being pre-eminent in their sport. McCoy ticks both boxes. If BBC would stump up for the extra gong I could see a point in giving two awards, one for the one off achievement in which case Amy Williams, and one for the consistent brilliance – still AP McCoy for me.

On that basis last year would have been Button for the achievement in the year and Giggs for …… no still wouldn’t have been Giggs – how did he get SPOTY on the back of making 3 appearances that year, 2 as a substitute and once running the length of the field before remembering to put his shirt on? Now quite rightly a bookable offence IMHO. I mean he seems a nice lad, but honestly.

On an unrelated matter, I was a bit suprised to see that all 10 contenders this year profess to being lifelong Man United fans. Interestingly, so do all the contenders for the Young SPOTY and both the golfers and the cricketers have apparently made it known how grateful they were for their personal messages of congratulations from Sir Alex although the late favourites for the Team award are apparently the Manchester United Kabaddi team of Mumbai.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Swanny I reckon, but could be dependent on the ashes 3rd test which runs 16th-20th and SPOTY is 19th. Just to make it a little more interesting.

chewkw
    Free Member

Bernie Ecclestone.

😈

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘BBC Sports Personality of the Year’ is closed to new replies.