Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • BBC- someone got shot and stabbed over the festive season
  • hora
    Free Member

Firstly its very sad however why do the BBC in particular always focus on one incident thus giving it a great deal of weight. Is it to make people fearful to live their homes?

Someone was stabbed to death locally this week yet all I see is ‘gang stabbing in Oxford st’.

Lazy reporting or Autistic reporting? Sorry its true IMO.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😕

jon1973
    Free Member

Someone got murdered and someone else got stabbed in broad daylight in Oxford Street in the middle of the boxing day sales – with tens of thousands of people around. It’s going to make the news.

Proportionate reporting.

MSP

shot and stabbed, that Rasputin just won’t stay down.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Lazy punctuating or autistic punctuating…..

Naranjada
    Free Member

WTF is ‘autistic’ reporting? Please enlighten.

donsimon
    Free Member

On the BBC UK news home page it would appear to be taking up as much room as the “Joey Barton names child Cassius” story.
    Are you sure you’re not just looking at the NorthWest regional News page?

hora
    Free Member

Does it deserve to dominate the news with repeated reporting?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Too many journalists struggle to find stories when there aren’t PR companies/press releases involved. The people who work in PR/write press releases aren’t currently at work so journos search the news wires for stories and/or report the obvious stuff they are given. The police are working, so police related stories get reported in quiet times. But as jon1973 says a stabbing in Oxford St during the sales is a big story at any time of the year, but particularly given the coverage the media had already given the sales.

hilldodger
    Free Member

London – tick
    Youth crime – tick
    Seasonal sales – tick

yup, all boxes ticked for reportability…..

jon1973
    Free Member

Does it deserve to dominate the news with repeated reporting?

yes

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Don’t worry – I’m sure that the Guardian will be reporting that somehow it was all the Polices fault 😉

martinhutch

The stabbing story seems reasonably unusual for the reasons that others have given – plus there isn’t much other news around. I notice it’s been knocked out of the top 3 stories on the BBC website now, though.

BBC doesn’t tend to self-generate a lot of stories, particularly over the Christmas/New Year period when staffing is pretty light. There’s no parliamentary business, very little court reporting (I notice Stephen Lawrence trial is up and running again today, though), and very little business news.

Like it or not, day-to-day news is driven by political activity and the timed release of reports and statistics, and that dries up over the Christmas break. Leaving you with crime and dead celebs.

bullheart
    Free Member

Usually I refrain from biting when you make imbecilic comments, but I’ll make an exception today.

Enlighten us all on what defines ‘Autistic’ reporting? As someone who teaches autistic students I’m eager to give them some guidelines, just in case they’d like to move into the profession.

hora
    Free Member

So to the other murder. Heavy tv reporting of the shooting in Salford. At the sametime 4miles away not a squeek about the murder in Rochdale. Why?

Why does the Beeb always latch on and hold onto a particular story?

There are stabbings daily in London by this racial demographic. I still remember the last time a youth was stabbed to death on Oxford st in peak trading.

Soon they’ll drop it, like its fallen off a cliff without any follow up. Its almost like a very narrow-focused attention span that suddenly becomes distracted.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

hora, have you started on the cider early or something?

This shite is plumbing new depths, even by your standards. 😐

martinhutch

Shooting in Salford was slightly more unusual in that it was a visitor to the city ‘apparently’ gunned down in cold blood by a stranger. The other one was a nightclub brawl, wasn’t it?

Why do you think you still remember the last time a youth was stabbed to death on Oxford St in peak trading?

What you describe is the nature of news for all but a few running stories. We are an easily distracted people unless the story is local or particularly relevant.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There are stabbings daily in London by this racial demographic

Christ Almighty; are you for real, Hora?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surely, he’s pissed isn’t he? He must be. 😐

hora
    Free Member

Oh whatever.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wa-evs bro. 😐

sc-xc

It sounds like the demented ramblings of someone who has built their upper body too much in the last fortnight.

bullheart
    Free Member

Hora old son; you are a clown.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’ve bin asked a question Hora:

Enlighten us all on what defines ‘Autistic’ reporting? As someone who teaches autistic students I’m eager to give them some guidelines, just in case they’d like to move into the profession.

Any chance you could grace us all with a response, perhaps?

jon1973
    Free Member

Hora old son; you are a clown.

….and Jewish from certain angles, apparently.

hora
    Free Member

I fail to see how they chose one murder and excluded others. 300m’s away from the shooting a month ago they fished a body out of the canal. A victim of murder. Zip reporting on that.

I know this as both scenes are where I walk past every lunchtime during the week.

Why the blanket reporting on selected stories for national consumption?

Bregante

Hora. Can’t speak about the job in Rochdale as I know nowt about it but the Salford shooting happened on my patch…

The press will usually report based on what GMP are telling them in the form of press releases. These will be prepared in an attempt to gain maximum publicity, hopefully in order to get a response from the public, who may hold vital information.

Maybe it is already known who has committed the offence in rochddale and therefore the strategic decision has been made by the senior investigating officer, that on this occasion they need less media attention…..

Edit: what I would add too is that I the way in which the Salford murder is developing, 4 arrests over the last few days has no doubt added “fuel” for the media in the form of regular updates.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I fail to see how they chose one murder and excluded others.

In very much the same way you choose to answer some of the above questions and not others

You’ve bin asked a question Hora:

Any chance you could grace us all with a response, perhaps?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think this is what’s known as an ‘AutoPwning’. 😐

MartynS

we could have a very long discussion about “what is news”
    At a regional level there just isn’t much time in bulletins at this time of year.. the longest BBC regional bully is 8 minutes over this period. A call has to be made about what to run. You can only run ONE of the murder stories, you can’t have a whole bulletin about murder. So do you do the unprovoked shooting, or a nightclub fight?

As for dropping it like a stone. There comes a point where a story has run its course and there is nothing more to say. Once people have been arrested and charged there is very little you’re allowed to say. However once the court case begins the big story’s are picked up again.

It is true that at this time of year there is very little around, so story’s that may not have been given as much time find themselves the lead story.

I don’t see it as lazy at all. There has to be light and shade in the news and its the producers job to balance it. I’m not saying they get it right all the time though…!

bullheart
    Free Member

I know this as both scenes are where I walk past every lunchtime during the week.

Is that on the way back to your job at the National Centre of Evading Difficult Questioning (NCEDQ)?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is that a department of the Institute of Physics, Bully?

jon1973
    Free Member

No, it’s part of the Ministry of Silly Walks.

hora
    Free Member

That wasn’t selective hearing. That was me bored looking for a rise on a slow non-event day in the hora household.

Calm down. It is on my walk to lunch everyday though (I normally walk to the Sainsburys across the road for a jacket potato if anyone wants to set up a spot to whack’ me).

Talking of bodies in canals. There was another(?) also not so long back locally of a young lad who disapeared on a night out and sadly reappeared in the canal. Manchesters a busy patch isn’t it. (Understatement of the year)..

vinnyeh

That wasn’t selective hearing. That was me bored looking for a rise on a slow non-event day in the hora household.

TJ’ll be on your back for unlicensed usage of the Edinburgh defence..

And what’s ‘autistic reporting’ anyway?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hora, just answer the flippin’ question!

What is ‘Autistic Reporting’???

hora
    Free Member

Autistic – There are a few on here that are borderline, as admitted by a few who took the online test….it was for a rise..

OT Bregante I’d still like to get that thing sorted if you know what I mean.

crikey
    Free Member

Hora, go and look at the timings related to each crime. Look at when the incident occurred and when the victim died. This will help to explain the way each was reported.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So, you made ‘autistic reporting’ up to deliberately pick on some people on the forum who have or may have a neurological medical condition?

That is shameful, and quite a horrible thing to do

sc-xc

To be fair to hora – he posted this above:

Soon they’ll drop it, like its fallen off a cliff without any follow up. Its almost like a very narrow-focused attention span that suddenly becomes distracted.

And whilst I know nothing of Autism, I think ‘Autistic reporting’ it was nothing more than an ill-informed off the cuff comment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘BBC- someone got shot and stabbed over the festive season’ is closed to new replies.