Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • BBC show, where a guy builds his dream bike?
  • bloodyshins
    Free Member

I heard about a show, aired recently on the BBC about a guy who builds his dream bike, visiting various component manufacturers to find the best bits. I think there might have been some kind of world touring theme. The inner bike geek in me would like to find it on the I player…. any one know what it was called? Can't find it for love nor money.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I fear it may contain hub gears?

Karl33to
    Free Member

cant remember what it was called, but I did bookmark it for later viewing only to find the very next day that it had expired / been removed!

if anyone knows somewhere else it can be viewed I would also be grateful of a link.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Ride of my life.

No longer on iplayer IIRC

From my observations he had a Rouke 953 frame!
    CK headset
    Record bits
    Dt rims on Royce hubs
    Tacky carbon bar/stem

swavis

The Ride Of My Life? It was on BBC4 a couple of weeks ago.

Too slow 😛

singlespeed
    Free Member

I saw it the other night – awesome. Was on super late (may have seen a re run) so didnt catch the end. Think this is the link, but no iPlayer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t6ylx

Saw him go to the Brooks factory to get his saddle. Dam they are a nice piece of work!

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Cheers guys. It has indeed been taken off Iplayer. Swavis- that is what is was called, found it on cast TV. Here's the link if anyone is interested

http://www.casttv.com/video/7ipwy9r/ride-of-my-life-the-story-of-the-bicycle-part-one-mov-video

petrieboy

Cheeky download available on a site with a pirate ship on it….

CaptJon
    Free Member

Now that it an annoying voiceover.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes, last week it was on every night, late night, on some freeview channel or other. Quite interesting, but don't lose sleep if you can't source it, it wasn't that good. There was a MTB section, which was interesting, featuring Charlie Kelly (Repack rider – off here).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow…that's Repack from here? Cool!

Was an ok program but I didn't really like the bloke…much as I loved everything he was doing. I just couldn't feel the love.

samuri
    Free Member

It was way cool where he went but the bike was an absolute horror. Beauty is in the eye and all that I guess though, as long as it works for him.

Meeting Joe Breeze looked cool, and the up their own arses Chris King people was ineteresting.

That chap (Rob Legg?) or something, he's so passionate about bikes, it's hard not to like him IMO. I enjoyed the program quite a bit, even my son watched it all with me.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I found the bloke to be an irritating ponce, and the programme skipped too quickly through loads of interesting stuff.

don't lose sleep if you can't source it, it wasn't that good

I'd second that.

markgraylish
    Free Member

The bit about the art student was best… 😉

TheDoog
    Free Member

I thought it was a good concept for a program but rendered pretty pointless by going to a bunch of factories that wouldn't let him, fair play to the factories though. Agree about the smugness at C King too, but the idea of getting time off and free food for biking to work is a good one! The bits about the bike loving people were better especially the old loons on reepak.

samuri
    Free Member

I loved the city (I forget which one it was now), where cycling is encouraged and supported by the council. All you have to do is show that city to all the petrol heads to prove it's a far better path than building more roads. Everyone cycling into work was happy, everyone using their cars was happy.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Definately worth watching but not what I'd build. One of the best bike programs I've seen on TV.

julianwilson
    Free Member

funnily enough the uk framebuilder and Brooks came out really nice. And he did get a sunday ride with the cinelli bods even if he couldn't see their (offshore) manufacturing. CK and campagnolo bits were a bit like him just going to the warehouse and buying stuff though. They could have done some 'our product is unique and better' spin for him -they missed out on some really easy publicity there!

hughjengin
    Free Member

I think I must have been the only person who didnt like the program. I thought the guy was a proper herbert who irritatingly over enthused about everything. He supposedly spent 4 grand and ended up with a bike that looked heavy, not that nice to ride, and probably wouldnt last ! And he looked blimmin uncomfortable riding it into the sunset too ! But then I guess it wouldnt have made good telly if he walked into an Evans store and said "Can I buy that Trek Madone in the corner there ?"….."Yes Sir of course you can, that'll be 4000 pounds"……"Thanks heres my credit card"…"Bye"…"Bye"…Roll to credits !
    I did enjoy the bits about the whole beginnings of mountain biking though.

StirlingCrispin

Robert Penn has also written a book on the same subject – it's all about the bike.

An excellent read.
    It was his dream bike – not yours!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'd say it's worth watching, but remember it is aimed at the general public

ski
    Free Member

He also visited Brooks & Continental, worth watching if you can, imho.

How skilled was the guy from Brooks who shaved the sides of the leather saddles by hand, impresive.

ourmaninthenorth

EDIT: ignore me.

TheTompy
    Free Member

It would have been nice to know why he'd chosen that frame seeing as it's the most important part of the bike. Agreed about the factory visits – a bit pointless when they won't let you film.

The end result was a right dog's dinner and the bloke looked awful riding it. I'd put money on that not being his dream bike for very long.

nickc

It was a weird build for sure. Brooks saddle, and then some mad CF Cinelli bar stem combo that would have looked not out of place on a TT bike… on a steel frame

Still his build, not mine…

stu_d
    Free Member

There's a big article about him in the latest Cycling Plus (arrived yesterday)

hughjengin
    Free Member

I agree about it being his "dream bike" and not anyone elses and obviously the whole point of the show was to visit some of manufacturers with the most heritage, and probably visiting a taiwanese carbon fibre moulding plant, wouldnt evoke the same misty eyed nostalgia as visiting brooks or cinelli. So I appreciate that in that respect the programme worked well.

chriswilk
    Free Member

the factory bits were interesting, and the people he met.
    Seems like he took each component in isolation with no consideration of how they would all hang together.
    Nice parts but bloody awful full build.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘BBC show, where a guy builds his dream bike?’ is closed to new replies.