Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • BBC news
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

GP complaining about only getting £36 per hour for a 12 hour shift – a mere £112k a year…..

RobHilton
    Free Member

He should probly do it for free, yes?

martinhutch

I stuffed their mouths with gold.

Plus ça change… the above quote is from Aneurin Bevan on how he got hospital consultants to sign up for the new NHS. Same principle still applies to GPs. Whatever generous settlement they get (and the one under Labour was very generous), there will still be demands for more…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    convert

£112K is a lot of money, but to get to your figure they would need to work 12 hour shifts 5 days a week 52 weeks a year. Average UK annual working hours (for all UK full time employees) in 2012 is 1654 – your figure indicates they would be working 3100 hours. That’s not inconsiderable graft.

I’m not sure you’d get many plumbers/electricians to work for £36 an hour. It’s all a lot of money, but I think I want to live in a world where the bloke/woman monitoring my health is paid more than the bloke/woman fitting my u bend.

cranberry
    Free Member

The way Labour bought the silence of GPs has had long lasting effects – from lack of out of hours cover, flying ( sometimes incompetent ) doctors in from Germany to cover weekends, forcing people towards A&E as a first point of contact.

“We are not being paid a fortune – sometimes only £112k per year” is only the start of it.

martinhutch

To be fair, I presume the above is from a salaried GP – average pay starts in the mid-50Ks, which although sounds pretty good to the lay person, isn’t massive in the context of similarly-skilled professionals.

If it’s a partner whining though, he can bugger off!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

No I don’t expect them to work for free and I know two GPs personally and one in particular works really hard, my point is don’t chuck houly rates around when 25% of the workforce is on minimum wage and most can use a calculator – however it is supposed to be puiblic service

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

It was a partner not salary GP – most partners earn more like £150k

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know many people earning more and doing less, 36/hr would get you a project manager in some industries. Want to tell us how much they should be paid? What does the OP earn, for what? I think we should be able to compare.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Convert the point was not 112k for 60 hours a week – she was complaining that her average turned out to be £36 per hour – so actual rate for 40 hours would be around £55 per hour

pk13

Not many sparks or plumbers pulling that much after tax

bruneep

Go one then I’ll show my hand 1st. I’m an overpaid public sector worker at an amazing £14.71 pr hr with no shift or unsociable hrs allowance paid. circa £32k per annum

Flame me

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

£36 would get me one whole column of an excel spreadsheet filled, and maybe formatted…or so I hear.

gobuchul
    Free Member

£36 per hour for a 12 hour shift

So if you call that £1440 for a 40 hr week and they work 47 weeks per year, that gives you about £68k per year.

Not exactly mega bucks for a professional person and one who has to deal with “customers”.

Although I don’t normally believe some examples of NHS pay given in the media, when groups are looking for more money, so I would expect most GP’s do better than £68k per year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So how much training? What can you delivery for that? How many people can you treat in a day? People earning different montfort different job shocker.

hatter

You pay market rate, the NHS has enough trouble retaining staff as it is, if thy could pay less and fill all the posts I’m sure thy would.

And complaining about rennumeration is par for the course in all employment, call me cynical but in my experience not doing so is a pretty good way to ensure you don’t get a pay rise any time soon. They had a former Goldman Sachs banker on the today program yesterday explaining just that, if you’re seen to be happy with what you get then the instinctive reaction of your boss is to think they’ve over paid you.

iolo
    Free Member

GP’s do an excellent job. They help you when you’re a bit broken.
    Whatever money they get is fine by me.
    I hear nobody commenting on the well groomed ball kickers who get over twice a GP’s annual salary per week for knocking it into the back of a net.

Stoner
    Free Member

£36 would get me one whole column of an excel spreadsheet filled, and maybe formatted…or so I hear.

and that’s mate’s rates for you sunshine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Actually for 36 I’d talk about how I’d fill the excel column and refer you to our graphic design to choose your colourway.

M6TTF
    Free Member

they’re overpaid. Google your symptoms, tell you its a virus, and they can’t give you anything,

gobuchul
    Free Member

I hear nobody commenting on the well groomed ball kickers who get over twice a GP’s annual salary per week for knocking it into the back of a net.

That has nothing to do with it.

Any of those GP’s are welcome to play football and if they are good enough then they could earn the same money.

So who should get that money from the advertisers, sponsors and TV rights? Rupert Murdoch? Richard Branson?

We live in a capitalist, free market, simple supply and demand.

towzer

Can we do total renumeration package please.

ie salary/rate(and if it’s as an employee or under another format), pension, hours, holiday amounts, flexibility etc etc etc …….

firestarter
    Free Member

Ah same as me bruneep except im on 12 quid an hour as im not your rank 😉

but dont forget your gold plated pension that you get given for a mere £320 deduction every 4 weeks

Damn i need a new job

poly
    Free Member

I’ve always found it bizarre that the part of the NHS we all encounter most often has always been “privately owned” although most people don’t realise this. Now this might be an argument that other parts could be too, actually I think the opposite is the case – the issues most people have with GP services are a consequence of the contractual arrangements and GPs managing their books not healthcare.

RobHilton
    Free Member

M6TTF – Member
    they’re overpaid

Do you have any idea how hard it is to become a GP?
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to be a GP?

Stoner
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

Flame me

That’s hardly a fair fight, you’ve got a hose and stuff.

jekkyl

And they still don’t offer an evening/weekend service so working folks can get to a surgery. Most of their job is dealing with old ladies bits so they get paid fairly I reckon.

bruneep

Oh yeah my gold plated pension 14.7% of my pay a month just a tad over £400. Remember it’s us greedy PS workers that nearly broke this country a few yrs back.

firestarter
    Free Member

Oh yeah I forgot its gone up again hasn’t it 🙁

ninfan
    Free Member

Just to put things in proportion, 100k before tax puts you in the top 3% of earners in the UK

150k puts you in the much discussed 1%

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great stat ninfan but is that suitable compensation for the years of training (heafty contribution from the gp these days) and all the rest and the work they do based on the skills they have.

Would the stw wages board like to rule on what they should earn?

jonba
    Free Member

I’d want more than £36/h if I was doing a 60h week 52 weeks a year.

Of the doctors, GPs, Dentists I know (family, riding friends), few, if any are on 6 figure salaries.

IMO it is an exceptionally skilled and demanding job where one has to deal with people like you lot. I’d say they earn the money.

I believe that like teachers, because everyone thinks they have some knowledge of the job (we’ve all been to a GPs) they think they know what it entails. Is the £36/h is so appealing perhaps you should get yourself along to medical school.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m an overpaid public sector worker at an amazing £14.71 pr hr with no shift or unsociable hrs allowance paid. circa £32k per annum

Does the £400/month pension come from that £32k?

ninfan
    Free Member

Great stat ninfan but is that suitable compensation for the years of training (heafty contribution from the gp these days) and all the rest

I think it would be hard for anyone to argue that being in the top 1% of earners in the country, indeed getting paid more than the prime minister, was not suitable compensation for any job.

bruneep

Does the £400/month pension come from that £32k?

Before the taxman gets to it yes

firestarter
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In one year a GP will save more lives and help more people that the Prime Minister, they also need more training and study so why not? It’s not an easy job in the end even getting into the first course is very hard so why not reward the top end well. They are clever people who have chosen to apply themselves to something that helps people better than most people earning that level of salary.

ninfan
    Free Member

so why not reward the top end well.

Which part of being paid more than 99% of the rest of the population constitutes not being well rewarded?

convert

Not many sparks or plumbers pulling that much after tax

Not sure if this is a joke…..

If not, you do realise GPs have to pay tax too?

convert

They are clever people who have chosen to apply themselves to something that helps people better than most people earning that level of salary.

Exactly, and whilst there are folk in the city and finance sector (blessed with considerably less intelligence, and significantly less study) making orders of magnitude more without the public good of a GP I think there are better targets for us bottom feeders.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘BBC news’ is closed to new replies.