• This topic has 60 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • BBC Natural History – Africa
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just watching Africa now.

The giraffe fight.

WOW! If you haven’t seen it, get on to iPlayer. Now.

How is it that with all that content produced over all those decades, the Beeb Natural History unit still find things to amaze and astound?

Simply superb. Superb television.

Not sure that’s enough praise, to be honest.

Wow. Just plain wow.

lazybike
    Free Member

+1…

stox
    Free Member

^^ agree with all of that. I’m a sucker for anything Attenborough

hammyuk
    Free Member

On pause as the wife is on the phone to parents but agree – o e of the only things they do well with the license fee. ( probably helped by the amount of external sales to other networks they make from the program too )….

wallop

I watched it on iplayer the other night. I thought it was one of the most astonishing bits of telly I’d ever seen.

Absolutely stunning.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Now showing the “How we filmed it” bit.

I’m a sucker for anything Attenborough

Agreed. A friend recently made a little show with him on the Galapagos (for another channel), but his overall body of work is amazing, made so by the truly brilliant people filming.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Saw it & was again amazed.
    More praise for King David & the team.

muggomagic

Looking forward to the next episode on Wednesday.
    The whole family were glued to it. Giraffe fight was unbelievable. The Rhino piece was extraordinary too.
    Attenborough really is a national treasure.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Superb viewing, loved that bird,clever thing. Loved the rolling spider, loved the neck whipping, loved the rhino with his dating technic that coped but couldd not perform, loved it all!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Watched, very pretty and all that, but it’s all a bit too much glossy eye-candy for my liking. Not depth, just glitter.
    Not like proper wildlife programmes you used to get with two hours on the mating pattern of the common whelk.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

and you get some gripehounds moaning about public funded broadcasting !!

truth is no commercial set up would dedicate such craftpeople to such a project– we are lucky to be able to indulge ourselves of this quality of programme– all for a very small price (relatively )

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Not like proper wildlife programmes you used to get with two hours on the mating pattern of the common whelk.

the origins of tantric sex !

CountZero

IanMunro – Member
    Watched, very pretty and all that, but it’s all a bit too much glossy eye-candy for my liking. Not depth, just glitter.

No substitute for Johnny Morris and Animal Magic, eh?

LMT
    Free Member

First time ive watched something on tele in HD and thought wow, not long had HD channels normally the blu-ray wows me but watching some of the landscape shots, just amazing camera work.

igrf
    Free Member

It’s not on at the moment is it, I’m trapped dancing on ice, I’ve seen the one with the Giraffe fight, when’s the next one?

And yes, plus one, brilliant.

Fantastic – almost worth the licence fee alone

stucol
    Free Member

Difficult to say if “Africa” is better television than say “splash” ? Or Strictly dancing on whatever ?
    Giraffes dancing on ice on a 10m diving board in a Gypsy wedding dress. That could work.

What a load of utterly mind numbing tosh there is on telly. Saved only by the natural history unit again.

corroded
    Free Member

It was some of the best TV I’ve seen in years (well, since the last BBC/Attenborough series). I was amazed that new (to me) stories were still being found, like the creepy crickets.

anagallis_arvensis

My 2 1/4 yearold son has watched it four times already and is still saying wow regularly. Just dont try telling him the baby ostriches are not ducks. He got quite angry with me about that!

hh45
    Free Member

Thanks, just watched that, great as ever and extra great that ‘we’ are still learning new stuff about the place.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The giraffe scrap was bizarre. Its head hit the ground with a right thump!

wallop

Also on iPlayer at the moment – “Frozen Planet – Epic Journeys”. A compilation of the best bits of that series, including the scene with the seal and the killer whales which had me sobbing my heart out. Again.

hammyuk
    Free Member

rudebwoy – Member
    and you get some gripehounds moaning about public funded broadcasting !!
    truth is no commercial set up would dedicate such craftpeople to such a project– we are lucky to be able to indulge ourselves of this quality of programme– all for a very small price (relatively )

Not quite correct as this is being sold to other countries and networks as well as DVD and download so its wholly commercial.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I saw this last Weds, good programme, but then all of his programmes are aren’t they.

I do believe though that David ought to make way for someone else now, he could still narrate but perhaps put a new face in front of the camera. I know this would be controversial to some but I don’t watch the programmes because of David, I watch them because they are very well put together and produced in an exceptionally easy format.

Carry on singing his praises though wont you. 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

One of the few programmes that makes me contemplate having a tv licence…

toxicsoks
    Free Member

+ 1 with regard to the stunning camera work. Was in the Kalahari (and Botswana) back in Oct/Nov to see our eldest who’s a research zoologist working with meerkats (yes, those meerkats). Cue much “seen that”, ” been there” comments from the Family Soks. If you get the chance to go to somewhere like Botswana, you, really, must go. It’s gobsmackingly stunning.

matther01
    Free Member

When asked as a child what I wanted to be when I grew up…I replied David Attenborough!

All his series are brilliant (even the life of plants). I’ve been lucky enough to visit South Africa twice and see some of those amazing animals in the flesh (even the baby ostrich chicks) and this series has brought it all back. It’s incredible that the film crew waited 30 days to capture 1 min of that fight…patience is most certainly a virtue and skill.

passtherizla
    Free Member

superb.

boltonjon

+1 – best TV i’ve seen in years

MadBillMcMad

+1 Wow

It made me wish I had a wall sized telly.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

we bought a wall sized telly right before frozen planet was broadcast

and that makes africa the second non-filmy thing I have seen that has made me go “wow”

joemarshall
    Free Member

We stopped watching it just after the meerkats, when there was the teenage leopard. It looked like it was about to go violent – is there much attacking other animals and eating them, or am I safe to let a 2.5 year old watch it. Bearing in mind that Muppets in Space, How to Train Your Dragon and Toy Story 3 all had to stop part way through due to the excessive violence (in her opinion that is).

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Just watched this. WOW 😯

Amazing bit of filming. Full credit to the camera guys. Loved the old giraffes last move. Just waited for the final blow then ducked and took down the young ‘un. Excellent.

Pigface
    Free Member

I watched it last night on the i player.

Drongo bird was incredible.

The Dragons breath cave sequence was amazing. Can you imagine the request going into the equipment department. A boat and scuba kit??? Are you sure you are going to the Kalahari?

wallop

Bumpus.

It’s TONIGHT!!

anagallis_arvensis

Thank god we get a new episode tonight. My two year old has made me watch the last one everyday since!!

DezB
    Free Member

The Chris Packham thing on now is amazing too – parasites in snail’s tentacles and ant “death circles”! Amazing how much new stuff you can still discover.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Where was the warning about scenes of a distressing nature? You shouldn’t show baby elephants dying without a warning.

wallop

I went out to make a brew and missed the baby elephant dying. I came back in and guessed what happened and got upset anyway.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Mrs Teadrinker just came down from feeding mini teadrinker and saw the elephant scene and is now in bits. Just got her to stop crying and now she’s off again there is a newborn on screen.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘BBC Natural History – Africa’ is closed to new replies.