Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • BBC iPlayer – Downloads on Android Tablets
  • BigJohn

Has anybody managed to get iPlayer downloads working on an Android tablet?

We’ve just moved out to the country, where the broadband is like treacle. If I want to watch something on the iPlayer I just get the spinning around buffering icon all the time, so the new download feature on iPlayer is a great help.

Or should be.

On my Mac Pro, the downloads work fine, but we don’t want to have to go upstairs in the spare room to watch. I’d rather download through my Android tablet and play it onto the TV through the HDMI socket.

Now BBC say they’ve fixed the bugs on iPlayer for Android but my nasty piece of crap tablet (Sumvision Astro running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4) won’t play anything that’s downloaded.

So before I throw it away and replace it with another one, I need to know if it’s a generic fault.

I was thinking of getting a Tesco Hudl, as they have HDMI output and are cheap too.

Stoner
    Free Member

I dont have any probs running jelly bean on a nexus 7, so I can only suggest that ICS isnt supported properly. I can have a play with Jr’s generic ICS this evenign and see if I can recreate your fault. But TBH one chinese block can beahve differently to another even with the same OS build due to hardware differences.

Id be done with it myself and take the opportunity to go up notch on spec anyway. Nexus 7 (Mk 1 or 2 FTW)

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Works fine on my Nexus 7 2013.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yep, fine here too on my mk1 nexus 7.

BigJohn

I don’t think the Nexus has an HDMI output does it? We like to come back from the pub on a Friday night and watch the stuff like HIGNY QI and the Trip on the telly.

BigJohn

We’ve got a Roku box for streaming, but as i wrote in the original post our broadband is too slow to stream the iPlayer.

Oddly, Netflix is OK – it seems to do some sort of buffering, but the iPlayer just stops and starts making it unwatchable.

Stoner
    Free Member

Odd – Ive found iPlayer to have a pretty stable buffering/compression system. I too live at the end of a tiny rural BB pipe. c. 1.5-2Mb

BigJohn

We get 1.2Mb on a good day. But BBC reckon they’ve made some changes recently so I’ll have another go at streaming. on the Roku.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You found something on the BBC worth watching?

Stoner
    Free Member

BBC4 FTW cressers.

BigJohn

Just done a speed test over the wireless connection – 556Kbps! Woo Hoo! In North Korea that would be seen as an unacceptable abuse of my human rights.

BigJohn

C’mon then!

Real question is: Have you managed to get the latest version of iPlayer downloads working (i.e downloading successfully, then playing off-line) on a wi-fi tablet with HDMI output that’s currently available to buy for under £200?

hughjengin
    Free Member

Yep, works perfectly on my Sony Xperia Z tablet. Downloaded about 5 hours worth of watching prior to my recent business trip.

mps711
    Free Member

I think that you can plug an HDMI slimport adaptor into the usb socket of the Nexus, so you can connect up to the HDMI socket of your TV.

ac282

Works fine on a note 10.1 but you need an adapter to connect to HDMI

xherbivorex
    Free Member

ah i just use a Chromecast with my nexus 7 to play them on my TV. but yeah they’ve not got an HDMI port on the tablet.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Have you managed to get the latest version of iPlayer downloads working (i.e downloading successfully, then playing off-line) on a wi-fi tablet with HDMI output that’s currently available to buy for under £200?

Watched all the recent Line Of Duty episodes via iPlayer downloaded on a Hudl then through the TV via the HDMI lead.

BigJohn

Looks like hudl is the choice. Any downsides to report?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Another one with no issues downloading to a hudl.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Downloaded 6 episodes each of a kids programme before hols onto two different hudls, also a top gear.
    However if you want to play direct from the iplayer web page (without uploading onto the tablet) you now need a separate bbc app which is I media player I think. It linked it to me from the iplayer website.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘BBC iPlayer – Downloads on Android Tablets’ is closed to new replies.