Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • BBC Grammar
  • Sidney
    Free Member

I’ve been puzzled by something that I’ve noticed on the BBC website lately. Instead of using better than they write better that which doesn’t sound right to me. I’m from Essex so it could be that but does anyone else think it’s strange?

Here’s another example of a paragraph from BBC where they’ve used that instead of than….

“He does not have more of a right to say these things about me that I do about him and I think words matter when you are in public life.”

Stoner
    Free Member

typo

KINGTUT
    Free Member

saddo

donsimon
    Free Member

I dared to criticise the BBC a while back and got slated, good luck chapster. 😉

I agree the level of grammar on the BBC is appalling.

meehaja
    Free Member

in that context it is probably right, but sounds wrong, as it suggesting that he has a right to say things that is equal with the right expressed by the other party. As in specifically relating to the RIGHT.

If you were to say that you have more right to speak than I do, it this is comparing me and you, rather than the right itself.

I suppose you could say that a police officer has greater powers of detention THAN I do,
    but I have equal rights of speech THAT a police officer does (I assume?)

But yeah, it does sound a bit wrong doesn’t it? I listen to Radio 4 a lot and find it funny when someone has obviously put a pedantic memo out about something, like the day when all presenters suddenly started saying Eraaaaaan rather than Eran. There is often some strange, but probably correct grammar used!

Sidney
    Free Member

Stoner – typo by the BBC? If it was a one-off then yes but I’m sure I’ve seen it 3 – 4 times in last few weeks so I don’t think it is.

Saddo. Yes unfortunately at the moment. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t me!

From Don Simon to another – excellent name and advice! 8)

redthunder
    Free Member

Surely it’s………. Grammer

Also, who gives a ****

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I find it appalling that 5Live now refer to peoples’ parents as their “mums” and “dads” instead of “mothers” and “fathers”. Appalling I tell you.

Edric64
    Free Member

Surely it’s………. Grammer

No ,and people wot speak proper care(Mark Datz!)

kennyp
    Free Member

I love Radio 4 and the fact that a few years ago, in the midst of all the turmoil in the world, the one thing had the listeners really up in arms was when a presenter used the phrase “one pence”.

redthunder
    Free Member

Somebody said “bummer” on Radio 4 once 🙂 Snigger.

redthunder
    Free Member

@Edric 64

You must see some interesting phrases and extreme grammar usage on the shelters you clean?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Than is for comparison so in the op I would think than is more accurate.

redthunder – Member
    Surely it’s………. Grammer

Also, who gives a ****

If a subject requires accuracy and clarity good grammar is essential. It’s not worth getting too hung up on all the time but if bad grammar creates ambiguity or results in sentence having tobe reread, flow lost or some other upset in clarity, grammar is important.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s distinctly a matter of spelling (and, if repeated, stupidity), rather than grammer.

But I do agree that 5Live is like the Devil’s jockstrap when it comes to language, but that’s due to it being Tabloid Radio(tm).

Sidney
    Free Member

Surely it’s………. Grammer

Also, who gives a ****

I did check to make sure it wasn’t grammer – no point starting a discussion about grammar and bloody spelling it wrong. 🙂

BillMC

Spelling, punctuation and grammar are all separate issues. Incidentally, what does it mean to ‘give a ****’? Is that a friendly and intimate gesture, oft repeated?

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely the OP’s comment is reported speech, so it’s not the BBC’s fault?

Also, the comparitive is ‘equal to’ so it should say “I have rights equal to those of a police officer”

Edric64
    Free Member

@Edric 64

You must see some interesting phrases and extreme grammar usage on the shelters you clean?

Yes ,one can tell how good the schools are in an area by the quality of the graffiti.I also see many different takes on the male anatomy.So I get English ,Biology and Art on the same shelter.Who needs an Ofsted report?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Oh, is this the place to raise the issue of people who conflate percentage increase with changes in percentage points?

Sidney
    Free Member

@molgrips – you’re correct that the quote I use is reported speech. They still might have reported it incorrectly but because I’ve seen them write better that in a few previous articles I think it’s more systemic.

hels
    Free Member

Or some BBC staffer relies too heavily spellchecker ?

Edric64
    Free Member

As in an increase in interest rate of 1% point from 4% to 5% is actually a 25% increase?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think ‘better that’ is purely a typographical error, since it’s not even bad grammar it’s nonsensical. When you are trying to compare things, that is 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘BBC Grammar’ is closed to new replies.