Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • BBC boss George Entwistle resigns
  • RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Linky Looks like the Beeb is having a bit of a meltdown

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Wonder if he’ll get a pay off, after only 3 or 4 weeks of work

davidjones15
    Free Member

Twice in the smae night. The guy’s having a seriously bad day. 😥
    Linky.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I bet there’ll be some contractual arrangement! ➡

brooess
    Free Member

Seems a bit steep, hardly his fault.
    I thought Humphries was being an idiot on R4 this morning trying to make out he should have been more involved. The guy was DG, he wasn’t supposed to micro manage a single problem programme. It’s like my chief exec getting involved in my work

zanelowe
    Free Member

Wonder if he’ll get a pay off, after only 3 or 4 weeks of work

Im sure he will, this is the thin end of the wedge big big cover up to be exposed i feel it in my water.

Coyote
    Free Member

He’ll do alright don’t worry. Well paid idiot resigns and walks into another well paid job. Happens all the time.

grahamh
    Free Member

I’ll take on the role, start on Monday then publicly resign on Tuesday.
    Got to be worth a few £1000’s 8)

project
    Free Member

now all we need is the rest of the conservative part y to resign in support.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did you hear him on R4 this morning,

Dork.

Glad he’s gone.

br
    Free Member

Im sure he will, this is the thin end of the wedge big big cover up to be exposed i feel it in my water.

Yes, but the big cover-up is why he’s been ‘pushed’ – but it isn’t at the Beeb but in North Wales and numerous other places up and down the country.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/the-jillings-report-how-the-truth-about-north-wales-child-abuse-scxandal-was-suppressed-8303903.html

We have to make sure that this is what we focus on, the Beeb is just a patsy.

rickmeister

Bit weak IMHO, isnt he supposed to lead through this as he is only in the post 54 days, some of this didn’t really happen on his watch…… although I concede there may well be other stuff happening behind the scenes that are still to emerge.

Didn’t hear the Humphries interview unfortunately.

cooperman
    Free Member

Talk about taking a hospital pass.

Savile and child abuse in less than 2 months.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just watched Chris Patten’s impressive defence of the BBC on the AM show. The worst thing that could happen now is to let the howls after blood from the likes of the Murdoch empire roll his head as well.

The whole sorry tale is a fine example of what can happen when those responsible for control at the head of an organisation allow themeselves to be moved too far from the coal face. More and more layers of what seems to be incompetent “middle management” making bad, secretive decisions led to a situation where a crisis was allowed to explode due to any efficient reactivity getting lost in the over-extended reporting chain.

The irony is that the departing DG was put in place with a mandate to reform the structure that would have avoided this very situation! The fact that he couldn’t cope might well indicate a need for the Beeb to look at it’s recruitmernt methods, especially as they now need to replace him with someone who can, as Chris Patten put it, “cope with the incoming gunfire” in a way that Entwhistle clearly could not. How do you make sure that the person you are recruiting has this innate ability?

In the end, the remit to reorganise proved too late. The bomb went off before anything could be done, showing that not only does the head of the organisation need to keep closer to the groundwork, but also needs to be future proactive and avoid problems before they manifest themselves.

Harold Macmillan was once asked “What could possibly derail your government’s programme for the next parliament, Prime MInister?”

His reply?

“Events dear boy, events…”

IanMunro
    Free Member

I thought Humphries was being an idiot on R4 this morning trying to make out he should have been more involved.

I was wondering during that what it feels like to lay into your boss live on radio.

cranberry
    Free Member

a fine example of what can happen when those responsible for control at the head of an organisation allow themselves to be moved too far from the coal face

I wonder how many times the BBC will repeat Chris Pattern’s quote that the organisation has “more senior managers than the Communist Party of China” ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

not their best week and will be used by the rest of the media and Tories in order to beat the BBC with a shitty stick – they will hope it will deflect from Levesson and the rest of the illegal stuff the entire [ pretty much]written media were doing.

I feel for the guy WhyTF should he know what the Newsnight report is for that episode and why should he carry the can?

MrNutt
    Free Member

“Newsnight, in its item on child abuse in north Wales the previous Friday, did NOT identify Lord McAlpine as an abuser. His name wasn’t even mentioned.”

I watched both friday shows and felt as though I must have missed the naming part, but it never actually happened. So what is this?

a Government shake down of the BBC because they’ve rattled the ivory cage of an oligarch?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I feel for the guy WhyTF should he know what the Newsnight report is for that episode and why should he carry the can?

True. However during the Humphry’s mauling when he said he wasn’t aware of the story in the Guardian revealing the cock-up because he was busy writing a speech didn’t really do him any favours.

franksinatra

I feel for the guy Why TF should he know what the Newsnight report is for that episode and why should he carry the can?

Because pretty much everybody else in the country knew about the report beforeit was aired?

Because Newsnight was already under intense scrutiny because of the Jimmy Savile story?

Because despite choosing to run this story his journalists didn’t even think to show a picture of Lord McAlpine to the accuser to ask if that was the right bloke?

His organisation was under the spot light because of Newsnight yet he didn’t even ask questions when they were running another high profile story about sex abuse. It shouldn’t stop there though, other heads should roll. How they hell can they run a story without even checking the very basics of facts. It took The Guardian to show a photo to the accuser before he turned round and said no, that isn’t him!

You couldn’t make it up.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘BBC boss George Entwistle resigns’ is closed to new replies.