Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • BBC article about Phillipa York/Robert Millar.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

BBC Scotland.
    Just spotted this on the BBC sport website, not read it yet but thought some on here may like to read it.

slowoldman
    Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks for that excellent nice to see Philippa out and about.

ton

follow the path that makes you happy in life. cant fault that.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Hope she feels this ‘life’ victory equals any of the victories achieved by Robert.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good interview on cycling news podcast recently too, well worth a listen.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wish her luck etc, but tbh he (and therefore her) was a fairly quiet and introverted person, she didn’t offer or contribute much when a commentator at a recent race I watched (vuelta I think, but might have been tdf). Given his known personality, I’m not even sure why she was there other than maybe (cynical side now) to tick a PC / LBGT box. Anyway, wish her well, but not sure her future lies in TV commentating.

onehundredthidiot

A bit on BBC Scotland news last night. It was painful to watch. Someone who was notoriously shy talking about a difficult transition to someone who just didn’t know what to ask or how to ask it. Then the meeting of old friends. All quite awkward.

But well done philippa for having the bravery.

velocipede
    Free Member

I think this whole story is truly inspirational – watching the link above was really quite emotional – good for her!

trailwagger
    Free Member

If I had the opportunity to pick my own name, I would choose a cooler one than Philippa York…. just saying.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wish her luck etc, but tbh he (and therefore her) was a fairly quiet and introverted person, she didn’t offer or contribute much when a commentator at a recent race I watched (vuelta I think, but might have been tdf). Given his known personality, I’m not even sure why she was there other than maybe (cynical side now) to tick a PC / LBGT box. Anyway, wish her well, but not sure her future lies in TV commentating.

I agree she isn’t a great commentator, but then she’s not the first ex-sportsperson to do some commentating/punditary and be utterly rubbish at it, so to say it’s box ticking is a bit harsh.

chakaping
    Free Member

She’s only done it a couple of times so far. We were all probably a bit rubbish the first days on a new job.

Is she worse than Brian Smith?

bencooper
    Free Member

If I had the opportunity to pick my own name, I would choose a cooler one than Philippa York…. just saying.

You can do it any time you like by deed poll. Just saying.

trailwagger
    Free Member

You can do it any time you like by deed poll. Just saying.

I think you missed the point 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

But well done philippa for having the bravery.

+1

AlexSimon

trailwagger – Member

If I had the opportunity to pick my own name, I would choose a cooler one than Philippa York…. just saying. And you chose trailwagger!? 🙂

I’m only guessing, but a ‘normal’ name might be exactly what she was looking for.

Good luck to her and her family.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Man… there are some serious people on here.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

🙄 and some arses too 🙂

thought that her punditary was more interesting that Chris B’s on the mountain stages

trailwagger
    Free Member

Is that aimed at me???

beej

Remember peeps, humour doesn’t come across very well written down.

(lighthearted comment in a pub)

(/lighthearted comment in a pub)

trailwagger
    Free Member

It seems that way beej…

matts
    Free Member

This raises an interesting conundrum. If Pippa had decided to transition instead of becoming a cyclist, would the outcome still have been happiness? Would someone unknown in 70s Glasgow be accepted in that situation? Did the fact that she had a successful professional career mean that she has the possibility of work post transition in a way that maybe she wouldn’t have if she wasn’t ‘Robert Miller’?

Tiger6791

Fairly involved just to get a few QOMs

rOcKeTdOg

i thought this thread was about Prince william’s sister in law 😳

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

I agree she isn’t a great commentator, but then she’s not the first ex-sportsperson to do some commentating/punditary and be utterly rubbish at it, so to say it’s box ticking is a bit harsh.

True that she’s not the first ex sportsperson to be ineffectual at commentary, however how many of those others that have tried their hand were known to be as surly as Robert Millar was?

The guy didn’t want to deal with the media and was generally awkward. This is what B.A.Nana is alluding to.

The argument could be made that Millar was so awkward and aloof because of this secret he was carrying around but that’s another discussion entirely.

I don’t think it’s beyond the pale that it was a political move to have York commentate.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

trailwagger, yes.
    Anyone else, if you read Richard Moore’s biography you’ll get some insight into her character.
    I’d rather get a couple of insightful comments from someone who’s been there and done it rather then air filling waffle

chestrockwell

Good luck to the lad.

anagallis_arvensis

I bet some lycra warriors get a fright when she comes steaming past on her sturmy archer 3 speed with basket!!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘BBC article about Phillipa York/Robert Millar.’ is closed to new replies.