Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • BBC Alba – do you watch it?
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

How much money is BBC Alba costing license payers?

Answer: £15,000,000 a year!

Since its launch in September 2008, the BBC Alba channel has lost a third of its viewers, but its number of viewers remains five times larger than the size of the Gaelic speech community in Scotland (just over 58,000). The historian Michael Fry has argued that many of its viewers only watch it for the football coverage, because "you don’t need Gaelic to watch football", and that in this way the channel is "cheating".

I might have guessed, bloody football would have something to do with it!

I just installed Freesat box for my mum and am watching a page of text with some pretty damned awful gaelic singing. What good value (NOT)!

I can't see the point in these quirky old backwater languages! Can't cultural identity can be maintained without all this? Looks to me like the Scots are just cutting themselves off by promoting Gaelic.

The Welsh have also been working hard at isolating themsleves from the rest of the UK by focusing on their old language.

These languages were dying out and for a good reason: they became obsolete. The majority were speaking modern English and for the benefit of all.

I once knew a teacher who's husband had to relocate for a contract near Cardiff. She couldn't get a job, despite being an excellent teacher, just because she couldn't speak Welsh! I'd call that discrimination! SO Welsh children were denied access to a great teacher. I wonder how many other benfits the Welsh are cutting themselves off for in pursuit of a pointless quaint old languauge!

The Irish have TG4 or EITB channels too.

Not once in my life have I ever heard an English person saying we should speak ye olde english! I'm sure there were many tribal dialects, but nobody gives a damn.

Language evolves. English is very different from many years ago and will continue to evolve.

Nostalgically trying to turn the clock back on language is as stupid as a local authority putting a grade 1 listing on an old building. They all change over time. All you are doing is interfering with evolution.

Oh well, if it keeps a few people happy, why not, just so long as they pay for it!

nonk
    Free Member

yaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn. 🙄

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘BBC Alba – do you watch it?’ is closed to new replies.