Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • BBC!!
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

What with 98% of it’s programming hardly worth paying attention to, I’m struggling to think of a reason why I should be extorted to pay a “licence fee” to this top-heavy corporation and it’s largely pointless output.

cranberry
    Free Member

Oh look, a troll!

wwaswas

I pay because the 2% makes it worth the money.

chewkw
    Free Member

cranberry – Member

Oh look, a troll!

😆

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It’s worth it just to keep Clarkson on the telly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

BBC 4 ain’t that bad, c’mon now…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Not feeding the troll, but I always find it funny the number of comments the BBC articles on this manage to gather from people who think the content is all crap, they don’t use any of the services and it should all be scraped. The irony of them using those BBC services to complain about not using them is probably lost on them.

tomhoward

What with 98% of it’s programming hardly worth paying attention to, I’m struggling to think of a reason why I should be extorted to pay a “licence fee” to this top-heavy corporation and it’s largely pointless output.

Don’t then.

Next.

ninfan
    Free Member

I find netflix a better deal, they even do decent interesting and entertaining drama programmes, something that the BBC seem to have given up on.

Between netflix, 4OD and i-player, I see no need for a TV licence any more 😀

kimbers

thanks to iplayer I think the license fee is more relevant than ever

jag61

we wont have to worry about content for much longer, just heard on radio news that Noel Edmunds is heading a group to BUY the BBC. 🙄

mos

Aw, i looked at this thread as i though it was about something else entirely.

fasthaggis

Woppit.
    I love the BBC ,outside NOW!

milky1980
    Free Member

For my £150-odd I get:

F1 coverage without having to pay Murdoch
    Good documentaries
    Top Gear
    DIY SOS – always restores my faith in humanity
    The occasional good comedy show
    Random stuff that just grabs you – that banger racing doc that was on after TG for example.

Worth every penny 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Personally, although its legal, I’m of the opinion that if you’re not buying a tv licence then you shouldn’t be watching the iPlayer.

ninfan
    Free Member

Good documentaries
    Top Gear
    DIY SOS – always restores my faith in humanity
    The occasional good comedy show
    Random stuff that just grabs you – that banger racing doc that was on after TG for example.

I get all that for free, just a few hours later 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Don’t then.

So – even though I have a TV I don’t need to pay the licence fee? Are you talking about “getting away with it” or is that actually legal?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aw, i looked at this thread as i though it was about something else entirely.

and then….

I love the BBC ,outside NOW!

*Laughs*

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I find netflix a better deal, they even do decent interesting and entertaining drama programmes, something that the BBC seem to have given up on.

Between netflix, 4OD and i-player, I see no need for a TV licence any more

Exactly. The licence fee is legal extortion, pure and simple. Isn’t it?

ac282

Services we use regularly:
    Radio 1, 3, 4 & 5, news website, news 24, BBC 1, 2, 4 , cbeebies, iplayer and the weather app

I think that 40p a day as a household is a good deal for that lot.

thepurist

Woppit – what about all the tax to build roads, railways, hospitals and schools you’ll never use. Extortion, all of it…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

I get all that for free, just a few hours later

How?

Oh because you don’t watch it live I forgot about that

tomhoward

So – even though I have a TV I don’t need to pay the licence fee? Are you talking about “getting away with it” or is that actually legal?

As others have said, use all the (not live) online services.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Radio 4
    BBC4
    iPlayer

All excellent.

Or would you prefer to surrender to Sky and the utter shite they churn out. The History channel used to be good, now it’s just full of American “Reality” shows. (Although it does have Paige Wyatt! :D)

wwaswas

I feel more aggrieved about those watching services they haven’t paid for online than the price of the licence fee, tbh.

llama

woohoo we’ve done drugs and the BBC. Now lets sort out immigration and capital punishment, and we can all go home!

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/18/noel-edmonds-bbc_n_4983449.html

Noel Edmunds wants to buy it. Keep it as it it FFS.

Cougar

You need the TV licence to watch or record TV as it is broadcast live (even if it’s a non-BBC channel like ITV or Sky 1). That’s it. You do not need a licence if you only ever watch streamed shows (including iPlayer).

The TV licence enforcement people will hound the shit out you if you don’t have one. However, they do not have any special powers without a court order, they have no rights to “just pop in for a quick look” unless you choose to let them, and “detector vans” are a myth.

So if you don’t watch broadcast TV and don’t mind getting threatening letters on a regular basis, you don’t need to buy a licence.

Personally, I do pay for mine. I think the BBC is responsible for some awesome programming and it’s well worth the money.

Cougar

Radio 4
    BBC4
    iPlayer

All excellent.

And only one of those requires a licence to watch / listen to.

chvck
    Free Member

The TV licence enforcement people will hound the shit out you if you don’t have one.

If you just tell them that you don’t need one (you can even do it online) then they leave you alone 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

And only one of those requires a licence to watch / listen to.

But they all need the licence fee to fund them.

Broadcasting has to be funded somehow, commercially this is by advertising.

And who funds the advertisers? We all do when we buy stuff.

Simple really.

jambourgie
    Free Member

The TV licence enforcement people will hound the shit out you if you don’t have one.

If you just tell them that you don’t need one (you can even do it online) then they leave you alone

Telling them to do one is much more satisfying. Why help them out, there;s nothing they can do. They rely on confessions, usually by bullying and intimidating old people and gullible students. Just ignore them.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Ah, the ‘unique way it is funded’; making you pay for that which you don’t want… If a supermarket tried that on they’d hemorrhage customers. The BBC needs to sort itself out and quickly. A progressive reduction in their licence income leading towards abolition of the entertainment poll tax is what the luvvies need to shock them nto action.

craig_w
    Free Member

I still think the license fee is worth it. I don’t watch live tv that much, but use iPlayer all the time and for me I’m happy to pay.

The documentaries, Olympic coverage, (some) comedy, general entertainment, eg Sherlock and previously Spooks and Luther are all really good. I don’t have kids but I know my friends that do really appreciate Cbeebies and Cbbc.

In reality the BBC will get to the point it chargers for iPlayer, it would be stupid not to. Some sort of logon based on your TV license. When it does I’ll already be paying for it and will be happy to.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ah, the ‘unique way it is funded’; making you pay for that which you don’t want… If a supermarket tried that on they’d hemorrhage customers.

They do precisely that. Supermarket customers pay for the advertising that funds ITV, whether or not they have a television.

The only way to be certain of not funding independent television is by never buying any products or services. Don’t have a TV or TV license and you can be guaranteed not to fund BBC.

Funding the BBC is voluntary, funding independent television isn’t.

anagallis_arvensis

6 Nations Rugby
    Rabblebank Shite 12 rugby on red button
    The News
    Stwart Lee’s comedy Vehicle

More than worth the money.

MoreCashThanDash

If I didn’t pay it we would have no Clarkson and then what would we all bicker about?

Also, the World Service and other useful worldwide facilities would be lost

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Funding the BBC isn’t voluntary! Just try watching ‘only’ITv and see what happens. Firstly your brain will die and then you’ll summonsed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t watch TV if you don’t want to fund BBC. Simple.

There is no simple way of not funding independent television.

ninfan
    Free Member

Don’t watch live TV if you don’t want to fund BBC. Simple.

FTFY

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘BBC!!’ is closed to new replies.