Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • BBC 1: The Street
  • boxelder

Decent TV – such a rarity these days.
    Iplayer if you missed it – Bob Hoskins doing his thing

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Brilliant TV.

cynic-al
    Free Member

yes. v good.

I LOLed at the pint with the cocktail umbrella (no doubt it has a proper name)

nickc

Yep, brilliant TV

pennine
    Free Member

Enjoyed it. High Noon without the gunfight. err! a reference to a classic western for the younger ones 😉

boxelder

Gary Cooper?

Not as good as '3.10 to Yuma' (or whatever time the train left)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bob Hoskins doing his thing

Not really – back in his day he would have wupped his ass! 😉

I only caught the last bit – what had the kid done to be banned in the first place and be called a tart?

franki
    Free Member

Fantastic programme!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

MF – yep, in his Long Good Friday era, the boot would have been on the other foot.
    Jimmy McGovern at his best with a good solid cast.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So – what HAD the kid done to be banned?????

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Smoking in the toilet.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is that all? I though maybe he'd been caught cottaging a regular round the back by the bins or something!

nickc

Pub landlord bans local gangsters son. Gangster threatens all sorts of violence unless son is unbarred. Revenge is served cold…

boxelder

He did beat him, that's what the whole thing was about. Plus he gave the gangsters wife and son a chance to sack the thug off.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But as a plot, wasn't the landlord a bit of a wet to ban someone for something as trivial as smoking in the toilets? I thought it would have been something really serious so he felt he couldn't back down from the ban.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Think it was because he was one of the yoofs in the pub footy team rather than a general rule of the pub. He banned another player earlier in the play and so, after a crisis of conscience, stuck to his principles and applied the rules equitably he then banned the gangsters son and would not back down due to threats – etc etc.

boxelder

The £5000 fine a landlord apparently gets for someone smoking in a pub had a lot to do with it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Think it was because he was one of the yoofs in the pub footy team rather than a general rule of the pub. He banned another player earlier in the play and so, after a crisis of conscience, stuck to his principles and applied the rules equitably he then banned the gangsters son and would not back down due to threats – etc etc.

Fair enough – that sounds a reasonable plot. You can tell I didn't watch it all 🙂

But why did he call him a tart??? Was he acting like a tart for smoking in the bogs?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

But why did he call him a tart??? Was he acting like a tart for smoking in the bogs?

He asked the lad if he thought he was right to be banned, he said yes and also agreed that he was only there because his father made him, so landlord to hardman;

"You treat your son like a Tart, I'll serve him like a Tart"

Hence the drink with umbrella and straws, an exercise in humiliation though you really had to watch the whole programme to appreciate it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So he was a tart because his dad made him go back in? Weird.

But as you say, I should've watched the whole programme, but I was attending to our 5 week old twin daughters 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's on iplayer and I would recommend it.

boxelder

So he was a tart because his dad made him go back in? Weird

He didn't say he was a tart – said to the hard man, he was bringing his son up as a tart

should've watched the whole programme, but I was attending to our 5 week old twin daughters

Respect – that must be hard work. Don't bring them up as tarts. 😉

G
    Free Member

Tip Top Tickety Boo Telly IMHO

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Recorded it by mistake and watched it it anyway – fantastic – mastilles, no amount of explaining will make it clear – just watch it. Great performances all round, and well worth watching again

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘BBC 1: The Street’ is closed to new replies.