Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • BBC 1 now – supersized earth
  • woody2000

Burg tower window cleaning 😯

Rochey
    Free Member

Fancy doing it??

Cougar

Great viewing, this. Blah blah licence fee. Quality.

chojin
    Free Member

watching that Burj Khalifa bit made my toes curl from start to finish.

aaarrrrgggghhh just *thinking* about it is making my toes curl :S

woody2000

I’d rather be going down Mexico’s sewers than hanging off that tower!

cheers_drive

Poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

stox
    Free Member

I’d rather be going down Mexico’s sewers than hanging off that tower!

I wouldn’t!

crispo
    Free Member

What a fantastic programme!

As a graduate civil engineer this show is doing it for me! 😳

barkm
    Free Member

interesting, but cannot stand that bloke for more than a minute. He’d make a good children’s tv presenter, call me old (and grumpy) but I like programs that are at least partially pitched at grown ups.

woody2000

I’m not a graduate civil engineer and it’s doing it for me 😀

Hells

I’m a civil engineer (was a graduate a looooong time ago) and, well you get the idea……. 😳

Cougar

cannot stand that bloke for more than a minute

I couldn’t disagree more. I thought the programme was enthralling, beautifully shot, and that Dallas Cowboys bloke was perfect to present it. Stones on him too, he was clearly adding to the sewage problem a couple of times but did it anyway.

Hohum
    Free Member

I saw the advert for this last week and I put it on the old Sky+.

I am interested in watching it and I have mentioned it to my son and he seems keen to watch it as well .

Can’t watch it at the moment though as the television has been moved out the way because the decorators are in tomorrow 🙁 The wee red dot was on the Sky box so we can watch it later 🙂

cbike
    Free Member

Ho Hums wife must be really dangerous if he has to put the telly away every month…?

jimc101
    Free Member

Nice visually, but did feel very dumbed down, definitely felt more suited to the CBBC audience than anything approaching an adult audience.

molgrips
    Free Member

I found being up by the ceiling in Lincoln Cathedral worse. I’ve always had a thing about being stuck high up on one of those ledges.. dunno why.. I think maybe there was a film or TV show I saw as a kid featuring something like that.

The programme was indeed beautiful to look at though. And I particularly liked the creative subtitles 🙂

maccruiskeen

I’ve always had a thing about being stuck high up on one of those ledges

maybe in a past life you were a gargoyle 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Ironic. When my wife has the painters in, watching telly is about all I do.

granny_ring

Booger forgot to record this, sounds like it’s worth a look on I player

Rosss
    Free Member

Brilliant 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

watching that Burj Khalifa bit made my toes curl from start to finish.

aaarrrrgggghhh just *thinking* about it is making my toes curl :S

I knew a bloke who base-jumped off it illegally, before it was finished – now that was a clench-inducing video 😉

StefMcDef
    Free Member

That sewer in Mexico City with the horses skull in it…

Jeezo. You’d need nostrils of steel to be in that line of work.

Was half expecting some big tentacle to come up out of it like in the Death Star rubbish compactor scene in Star Wars.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Well shot production and interesting.
    Burj was interesting for the technical – the height side, been there, done that, wrote the manual and still teaching more idiots to do it 😛

theotherjonv

that sort of height doesn’t bother me any more than any high thing. I figure if your ropes going to break and you’re going to fall, 50m or 500m won’t substantially change the outcome.

I don’t like high things full stop. Looking over the edge of the town centre 6 storey car park shits me up.

Had to turn over at the sewer bit – was eating tea and that was just too much.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Aye, I conveniently ignored the sewer stuff. Otherwise, thoroughly enjoyed it.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It was the Hong Kong termite towers and the Rio favellas that made me stop and think “How the hell was that allowed to happen and what can we do to make sure that it doesn’t happen here?”

jwt
    Free Member

Great TV, series record for the rest I think.

Cougar

that sort of height doesn’t bother me any more than any high thing. I figure if your ropes going to break and you’re going to fall, 50m or 500m won’t substantially change the outcome.

One thing I discovered from my ‘throwing myself out of perfectly good aircraft’ days is that you can go beyond high. At maybe 200ft it’s vertigo-inducing. Much higher than that and, for me at least, it stopped being much of an issue. I think it’s to do with the amount of detail you can make out at ground level. Could just be me, though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Excellent show, well shot, good content and a great presenter..9/10
    Teeny bit dumbed down in parts but the average BBC1 viewer only uses 14 brain cells so what did you expect..
    The only thing that confused me is that it was on BBC1.. surely it’s a BBC4 programme (if you added a bit more tech)?
    The bit where they asked him to lean out off the Burg Tower.. Dear God, no no not for me that.

More please..

bencooper
    Free Member

At maybe 200ft it’s vertigo-inducing. Much higher than that and, for me at least, it stopped being much of an issue.

This is true – I found fixing my shop roof (single storey) scarier than climbing big cranes. I think it might also be down to imagination – I could imagine falling off the roof and breaking my leg, but it’s harder to imagine death, you just assume it won’t happen.

Crell
    Free Member

You came away thinking the researcher had actually put some effort in on this programme. I really enjoyed it. I’ve never liked the presenter but he was OK on this; no doubt as he’s “freed” from the “zany” world of the Gadget Show.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup – thought that “skyscrapers don’t get blown over, they get sucked over” bit was bollocks.

Hells

“Yup – thought that “skyscrapers don’t get blown over, they get sucked over” bit was bollocks”

Not bollocks at all. The vacuum effect on the non-windward sides of structures is often far greater than the effect of the wind on the exposed face.
    Oh, and before you ask how I know about this I have 3 degrees in engineering! 😀

Cougar

bencooper
    Free Member

Not bollocks at all. The vacuum effect on the non-windward sides of structures is often far greater than the effect of the wind on the exposed face.

Perhaps I’m being pedantic, but there’s no such thing as suction – what there is is air pressure on the other side pushing. So perhaps the static air pressure loading is higher than the dynamic air pressure loading.

I get what they were trying to say, it just wasn’t phrased very well I thought.

pictonroad

Yup – thought that “skyscrapers don’t get blown over, they get sucked over” bit was bollocks.

You might not want to think about how boats sail into the wind then…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

It was a bit bollox, as skyscrapers will not get blown over by the wind, but the structures will move and become unpleasant to work/live in.

bencooper
    Free Member

You might not want to think about how boats sail into the wind then…

By having an aerofoil-shaped sail. Yes, I get that. But there’s still no such thing as suction.

Can we argue about how airplane wings work too? That’s always a fun one 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

basically Dan Snow did a much better version of this series last year, including meeting the guy who goes down that sewer in Mexico City.

Most interesting thing was the cable car thingy in Rio, put in at a cost of $133m, how much did/are the Edinburgh trams racking up????

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My understanding of engineering..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘BBC 1 now – supersized earth’ is closed to new replies.