Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • BB92 Question
  • mccraque

Right…. I’ve got all the tools and am about to change my first press fit BB.

The new one arrived, and has a number of spacers but also a curious looking waffled piece of metal in the pack. Any idea what it’s for?!

Seen here….

BB Waffly thingy

2nd question…. should I use grease or carbon paste? It’s a carbon frame but assume there must be a metal shell within the frame?

GregMay
    Free Member

It’s a wave washer – goes between the crank spider and BB face on some SRAM chainsets.

mccraque

ok thanks. I’ll see if I have one on there then!

what purpose does it serve!?

mboy
    Free Member

The “waffly” thing is a wavy washer, which you need if you’re running a SRAM GXP crank (I’m assuming you are, as a Shimano BB/crank setup doesn’t need one). It’s for taking up the slack when you torque up the non drive side arm, as there’s no adjustment for preload like there is with Shimano.

You shouldn’t need spacers on the BB as it’s BB92 (they’re included for use for BB89.5 or BB86 usually), but you may (assuming it’s SRAM) need some of the clear plastic shims to assist with the wavy washer taking up space so the crank doesn’t move side to side in the BB.

Hard to explain in words, could show you in seconds if you were here if that makes sense! 😕

mccraque

Thanks…I think I understand.

My other question was about whether to use grease or carbon paste when pushing the new BB in. Any tips?

gee
    Free Member

I’ve used carbon paste in mine.

Which cranks are you fitting?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new superstar bb92 for sram cranks, ordered wrong one ages ago, if anyone wants it they can have it for postage.

mccraque

@nobeerinhefridge – I’ll take it. Send me a PM

Gee- Sram gpx

blairc70
    Free Member

Normal grease, i would avoid anything gritty near my BB.

There is a hope video showing their install

gee
    Free Member

I mean carbon paste between the cups and frame. Grease in the bearings.

mccraque

I’ve run into an issue.

Using my Park Tools BB extractor, I’ve managed to get the bearings out with no issues. But the cups are wedged firm. There is a little groove than I can just about get behind with the extractor tool, but with nowhere near enough pressure to smack it out.

Any ideas?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘BB92 Question’ is closed to new replies.