Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • BB90 11 speed super compact road bike cranks; advice please
  • obadiah
    Free Member

Desperately need lower gearing than the current 50/34 – 32/11 cassette (Shimano 105 shifters).
    Top gear spin out is not an issue, but high cost is. Cannot stretch to new Middleburn prices but all suggestions and/or any “parts box bargains” would be much appreciated.
    Sadly MTFU isn’t an option – chronically poorly lungs and other long-term injuries.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Spa cycles or sjsc will both have lower geared options based around touring cranks.
    Will need a new bottom bracket, square taper, isis or octalink. So if you have a press fit frame you may have issues. If it’s threaded it’ll probably cost you ~100 (or less)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Ah. Just noticed.

Bb90. You may be knackered. Unless you can sort a bb90 to bs adaptor.

Edit. Adaptor is impossible.

dovebiker

Looked myself a few years ago – nothing apart from internal BB options. However, I have run a XT double MTB chainset on my CX bike- chainline was out a touch out so had to use a triple front mech – 24×36 chainrings were great for ‘proper’ offroading in the Highlands

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Get the road equivalent of a goat link and get an 11 speed mtb cassette. Plus a cassette spacer.

swanny853

I was going to suggest this

I have run a XT double MTB chainset on my CX bike-

or this

Get the road equivalent of a goat link and get an 11 speed mtb cassette. Plus a cassette spacer.

So instead I’ll say I’m using 11 speed shimano road shifters with a zee 10s mech to run an 11-36 cassette (1×10) quite happily. When that wears out I will be moving on to an 11-40.

Or use mtb cranks and a wide range cassette!

jonk

SRAM 11-36 road cassette, if your mech is short cage then get a road link from 18 bikes.

obadiah
    Free Member

Enthusiasm now restored thanks all.
    GM – yes Spa were my first port of call but as you suspected they’ve nothing hollowtech friendly. Will definitely give SJS a call.
    Dbkr & Swny I do have a new Deore double that I’ll try now – the 24mm spindle is approx 6mm longer though – can plastic crank spacers be used between the bearings and crank arms?

Sandwich

Claris CX group set cranks and BB adaptor will sort the gearing.

swanny853

can plastic crank spacers be used between the bearings and crank arms?

Not certain but I can’t see why there would be any problems with that. Although if as I think you’ve got the trek only bb90 press fit setup then I’m honestly not sure!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

So instead I’ll say I’m using 11 speed shimano road shifters with a zee 10s mech to run an 11-36 cassette (1×10) quite happily.

Oh, swanny, tell me more on that!

Any special cable routing? Presume it wasn’t just a case of bolting the Zee mech on and bobs your uncle?

burko73

Interested in this thread as could do with a lower gear for towing bike trailer (full of rapidly growing child and lots of stuff) on my escapade. Thinking of going to 105 hydro 11 spd for cable routing, hydro brake reasons mainly but wondered if could run an sram 11 spd 11-36 cassette?

swanny853

Any special cable routing? Presume it wasn’t just a case of bolting the Zee mech on and bobs your uncle

Apologies, somewhere in an edit of that description i lost the ‘lindarets tanpan’ bit….

I’ve got two- one making 10s shimano road shifters work with 10s mountain mech so i can run 40/28 x 11-36 on my roadrat for touring. The other is an 11s on the cross bike so i could fit 11speed shifters without needing a new rear hub for the 11s roadie cassette. Rs685 levers, tanpan, 10s zee and 11-36. I think the zee might even cope with an 11s cassette at a push.

Shifting is fine on both, the 10s one was very finnicky with initial setup, 11s wasn’t (i did the 11s first).

thomthumb
    Free Member

Can you get a bb90 triple chainset?

I run inner 2 rings on a triple. 42:30 nice and spiny. 8)

obadiah
    Free Member

thom thanks – sounds just the job as I definitely can’t do “hurty” turning anymore.
    I’ll try a post on the WTD forum – is it a 130mm bcd triple I need?
    I ordered a 38/24 double from Superstar for the Deore crank but I’m sure your solution with a bigger outer ring will play better with the braze on front mech’s restricted lowest position.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I started a thread about the new FSA chainsets which are available with a 30/46 setup. Currently OEM on Willier cross bikes but hopefully soon to be available. Check my history as I’m too crap to post a link. Definitely hollow tech type but you may need an adapted for BB91.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘BB90 11 speed super compact road bike cranks; advice please’ is closed to new replies.