Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • BB7s with road levers
  • sadexpunk

using the dedicated levers that work with mtb BB7s, so no problem there, just that theres no cable tensioning screw with road levers, so its just a case of pulling the cable tight as poss and clamping it right?

problem i have is that when i pull the lever, theyll work, but dont go back to start. just drop a little and leave slack in the cable, and i have to pull them back by hand.

am i right in thinking i need new cables and outers? somethings snagging them somewhere? theres no screw anywhere on the calipers is there, thatll give that arm more oomph to return to starting position?

cables and outers came supplied with bars when i bought em, so cant vouch for their smoothness, just hoping i could get em working from the off without having to remove tape from the bars 🙂

thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member

New cable time

Also worth fitting a set of inline adjusters

sadexpunk

thought so. dont spose youd have a link to the right adjusters id need do you?

ta

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/jagwire-in-line-cable-adjusters-for-brake-gear-cables-prod24781/
    Those will do it.

Only needed if you want to adjust on the fly.

You can do the same by winding the outer pad inwards but this means stopping , i find with road levers they need adjusting often

Ringo
    Free Member

I don’t think you need new cables mate they was working fine, did you drop Keef a mail?

sadexpunk

yep, he gave me some good advice about adaptors and washers, and theyre sorted now ta.

cant see any other way round this problem tho other than new cables. if the ‘spring arm’ doesnt go back when the levers released, and theres no way of making the spring have more tension to do that, then cant see any other option than try new cables 🙁

cheers

scotroutes

Funny. The rear on my tourer is suffering from the same problem. I reckon it’s a combination of cruddy/old cables and needing to give the caliper a wee bit of maintenance as it feels gritty when moving the arm by hand.

sadexpunk

the BB7s are brand spankers btw.

scotroutes

New cables then.

Nipper99
    Free Member

you shouldn’t need in line adjusters with road bb7s. change the outers and set the brakes up properly.

scotroutes

My Road BB7s came supplied with Jagwire in-line adjusters. That was the “full retail” box though, not an OEM supply.

wassertreter
    Free Member

It took some fiddling to set up the BB7s for me too. Finally when I slightly pre-loaded the caliper, so the cable was tensioned when clamping, things worked out.

tinribz
    Free Member

Have used mine with MTB levers, Tekro road levers back to MTB levers and now 105 STIs. Never had problem like that. Although apart from swapping back cable for the front, have always used a new cable for the back and new set of outers.

Keef
    Free Member

does sound like you may need cables,but could be cable routing ?
    glad to hear the washer trick worked 😉

pdw
    Free Member

Sounds like you need new cables, but I do remember reading about people putting extra springs onto BB7s to increase the return pull (on the rear brake on tandems, I think…)

Mine came with inline adjusters, but I’ve removed them when I’ve replaced the cables. You adjust for pad wear using the pad adjusters, so you’d only need to adjust cable tension if the cable stretches during the first few rides.

birdage

There’s a youtube vid of road BB7s being fitted to a Volgai that I found useful.

sadexpunk

Sounds like you need new cables, but I do remember reading about people putting extra springs onto BB7s to increase the return pull (on the rear brake on tandems, I think…)

Mine came with inline adjusters, but I’ve removed them when I’ve replaced the cables. You adjust for pad wear using the pad adjusters, so you’d only need to adjust cable tension if the cable stretches during the first few rides.
    hmmmm mebbes i dont need the adjusters then. prob makes sense as the problems just the return pull needing to be stronger, or obviously the cable run needing to have less friction.
    the extra spring sounds a good idea, as they dont seem to be that strong, even with no cable in them. not sure i should be messing about with em tho really, theyre obviously meant to be like that as theyre new.

There’s a youtube vid of road BB7s being fitted to a Volgai that I found useful.

ill see if i can find that thanks

cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘BB7s with road levers’ is closed to new replies.