Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • BB71 needs replacement. What is the STW go to item?
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

BB71 on my Norco Search is needing replacement.
    Not really sold on Shimano BBs since the the shift from square taper.

Looked on the Hope site but I am not sure what I need from them. Anyone care to enlighten me? Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Gets even more confusing. I need one for a Shimano 105 and whilst trying to figure it out there seems to be road and MTB versions.

Written on the offending item is BB71 BB86. I mean WTF.

I have not had to buy either a headset or a bottom bracket since 1 1/8 Hope or Hope hollowtec was as difficult as picking which colour you wanted. Now I am confused.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Thanks Mike.
    That kind of helps.

On the bearing there is BB71 41. Assuming that 41 is the shell diameter. The crank spindle is 24mm.
    Can’t measure the BB shell width as the old bearing is still in there and my calipers are no where near long enough.
    From the spec of the bike ( Shimano SM-BB71 Pressfit BB86 ) one assumes BB width of 86.

Looking at the Hope guide there is 41mm 86.5 for 24mm cranks. How safe am I to order this one do you think?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Any further opinions before I spend some money?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Last chance for someone to chime in before I press the order button.

As an aside, is there a MTB forum where people discus bikes rather than middle class angst and woodburners?

jonnyboi

IIRC bb71 is the standard, bb86 is because it’s a road width.

TBH I now treat press fit brackets as consumable items and by shimano ad cheap as possible

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘BB71 needs replacement. What is the STW go to item?’ is closed to new replies.