Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • BB71 and cranks – What will fit?
  • ffej
    Free Member

Morning.. I’m confused.

I have a 2012 Giant XTC frame on its way to me which according to Giant needs a BB71 press fit BB, which is fine, they seem to be readily available, however they mention “89.5mm/92mm Shell” in the description which is much wider than the HTII BB’s I’ve been used to (68/73mm). Will my old XT cranks fit, or do I actually need a whole new crankset?

Jeff

flange
    Free Member

I have a bb71 in my cube road bike. Used my old HT DuraAce cranks that had previously run with an external BB and its fine. Well, I say fine – press fit BB’s are utter shite and whoever came up with the idea should be shot

nigelb001
    Free Member

The width of the shell is the same as external bb shell + width of cups so any HTll or Megaexo cranks and spindle will fit. You just need the correct press in bearings.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Remember the bearings on a press-fit are inside the BB shell, so if you added the width of the bearing cups to a normal 73mm BB shell you’d get… ta da … 92mm! So, yes, any Shimano HT-II cranks will fit a press-fit BB71 (or BB51 and BB91 for that matter – they’re all the BB92 standard.) Damn – beaten to it…

ffej
    Free Member

Ahh, it makes sense now. Many thanks everyone

J

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘BB71 and cranks – What will fit?’ is closed to new replies.