Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BB7 vs Hayes CX Expert
  • Bucko

I’ve just ordered a 2014 Croix De Fer today and noticed that it comes with Hayes CX Expert brakes, I was expecting BB7, should I be disappointed?

The shop are great and have told me they offer a customising service where they will let me swap bits on the bike and only charge me what the new parts cost over the money they buy my standard parts off me.

Should I consider changing the calipers for BB7?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’ve just got hold of one of the first pairs of TRP Spyre brakes and they look the absolute business. Two moving pads, very low profile, nice and light weight. My Tripster ATR build is taking it’s time (but it’s going to be worth it) so I’ve not tried them yet, but I have high hopes. For reference, I’ve run BB5s for a couple of years / several thousand miles and they’ve been ok, but needed a fair bit of regular fettling to keep in shape.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve got CX5’s on my new bike, they take a bit of fine tuning to get them aligned but are working really well now. Plus they look bling. Not used the bb7 so can’t give a comparison…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamj1974

BB7 = great.

Del

BB5s need faffing about with because there is only adjustment available on one side, so you need to keep moving the caliper. BB7s are to a large extent fit and forget on the caliper, and a quick click here and there on the adjusters now and then. used them very happily on my 5 in the alps last year.
    dunno about the hayes Bucko. they’re quite new aren’t they?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got BB7’s on my Whyte Saxon and they’re fine, I could be tempted to change them for TRP HyRd’s when they finally become available though.

Edit: The TRP’s will be standard on the 2014 model.

tomd
    Free Member

I have Hayes CX5s on my CX bike. They work well although they feel completely different to hydraulic brakes. Tyre grip is definitely the limitting factor not the brakes.

Bucko

@Del, the CX Expert are the replacement for the CX 5 by the looks of it, they’re still new so I can’t find any reviews. I suppose I should just give them a try and make my own mind up, it wouldn’t cost a lot to put some BB7 on and sell the Hayes on the future if I’m that unhappy with them.

It’s just a waiting game now as the bike is on the cyclescheme so I won’t get it for about 3-4 weeks.

Cheers guys

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Second for the TRP Spyres. Replaced my BB7s, easy to set up and adjust, braking as good as the BB7s, lighter weight and look a lot more sleek.

Regards

takisawa2

Recent convert to BB7’s here. So much so that I’ve got rid of all my hydro brakes for them. Less faff being the main reason, but being able to run bigger disc to pad clearance in mud is good. To be fair, I’ve had BB5’s on my Cargobike since new & they just never need touching.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BB7 vs Hayes CX Expert’ is closed to new replies.