Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Avid BB7 road calipers – weak return spring?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Am finding that on the rear the outer caliper rotating housing labours to return to its starting position leaving a bit of slack in the cable. You have to rotate it by hand a bit clockwise to take the slack up. Doesn’t happen with the cable detached so am assuming that the friction in the cable is just too much for the spring?

Anyone got any experience of “fixing” (or avoiding) this? There’s a few bits out there on the internet but not (as yet) found anything that is straightforward… TIA.

pdw
    Free Member

I read about a fix for this by getting the spring from a ballpoint pen and sliding it over the exposed bit of inner cable. I’ve not tried it, as mine are just about OK.

walleater
    munkster
    Free Member

Yes, seen that, and done that. Makes absolutely zero difference regardless of whether fully in or fully out or anywhere in between.

I’d read about putting a spring in between the caliper and the stop, seems a bit Heath Robinson to me though and hoped there’d be a way you could firm up the spring by brute force/ignorance somehow.

clubber
    Free Member

Maybe I’m missing something here but surely the problem is that your cables are knackered. Why would you mess with the caliper when you can fix it for a few quid on new cables?

munkster
    Free Member

You are missing something yeah, brand new cables (inner and outer).

Thanks though!

[edit]Admittedly not new caliper, but that’s not “a few quid”.[/edit]

clubber
    Free Member

Right 😳

Sounds like your caliper needs a clean / service then. Unless you’ve got a really horrible cable run

munkster
    Free Member

Sounds like your caliper needs a clean / service then.

Bingo! And it’s how I perform said service that I am trying to ascertain through this line of enquiry with like minded souls… We’ll get there eventually I reckon 😉 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Right, ok, I thought you were asking for a fix rather than service instructions!

munkster
    Free Member

Yep, that is exactly what I need 🙂

Was just coming back to post that link in fact after a mate mailed it to me so cheers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Avid BB7 road calipers – weak return spring?’ is closed to new replies.