Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • BB7 Drop Bar Lever Question
  • letmetalktomark

I have a pair of BB7 MTN callipers and some Tektro levers that are V/non road disc compatible.

I’ve used this set up previously and they work fine but the set up lacks any barrel adjusters for tuning lever feel.

Any suggestions?

scotroutes

Buy some in-line adjusters?

letmetalktomark

Excuse my ignorance …. Can you get inline brake adjusters or do I just use some gear ones?

scotroutes

My (roadie) BB7s came with them

Edit: Jagwire do some too
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/jagwire-pro-indexed-inline-adjuster-5mm-id87584.html

pdw
    Free Member

Mine came with them, but I removed them when I came to replace the cables as they’re just not necessary. Clamp the cable so that the arm on the caliper is *just* off the stop, and that’s it. You should adjust for pad wear using the adjusters on the caliper, not using the cable.

epicyclo

pdw – Member
    Mine came with them, but I removed them when I came to replace the cables as they’re just not necessary. Clamp the cable so that the arm on the caliper is *just* off the stop, and that’s it. You should adjust for pad wear using the adjusters on the caliper, not using the cable.

I mainly agree with you, but I still fit an inline adjustment.

This is because no matter how pernickety you are, there usually is a wee bit of bend in the cable around the calliper lever after following your method. (Obviously while trying to eliminate it as much as possible).

The finer adjustment available from a cable adjuster ensures that there is no delay in the movement of the calliper lever caused by the cable straightening before it can move the lever. It’s a minor issue but it helps with the feel, and there is less redundant movement of the brake lever.

And 100% as you say, never adjust for brake wear with the cable adjuster, always use the pad adjusters. (The cable adjuster is only used for initial setup.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘BB7 Drop Bar Lever Question’ is closed to new replies.