Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • BB7 and machining questions
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

1. Do BB7 or 5 calipers mount straight on to post mounts (i/.e. without the washer set)?
    2. Is anyone here up for turning a few small components from alu (dead simple job, I’d do it myself but no access to a lathe) EDIT for money of course

JohnClimber
    Free Member

1) no
    2) not me, won’t an adaptor do you?

090111 Sunday Mornings Ride & Run by Johnclimber, on Flickr

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

yes – for a 160 front disc on a post mount fork IIRC

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah OK 50:50 so far 🙄 😀

JC I want to put my mounts on a frame (post rather than IS). See my “epoxy” thread.

EDIT and d’oh you’re such a noob!

smokey_jo

Mine mounted straight onto mx pro post mount 160mm disc with usual avid washers

druidh
    Free Member

Isn’t the washer set required as part of the tri-align system?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm 67:33 now and a query 😮

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes you will need the washer set but no adaptor for 160 front disc.

If you are putting rear mounts on yourself you can put them where you want surely. However if you epoxy them will you please3 video the first attempt at using them.

I think but am not sure that standard post mount rear would be a 140 disc

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course I can tj but I’d like it to be standard – not some shit bodge.

As for the video, if it doesn’t work I’ll fess up alright. May be a wait though, got to order the carbon fibre.

smokey_jo

You need the washer set up to fit straight to forks for a 160 disc on post mount without adaptor.

coatesy
    Free Member

What exactly do you need machined? I like to know what i’m letting myself in for before volunteering for anything.

rOcKeTdOg

i just used a stack of washers off another set of BB7s, worked fine, no pics though sorry

cynic-al
    Free Member

coatesy: 12mm alu round bar tapped to M6, prob 6 off, need to work out length but prob 4cm or so.

toys19
    Free Member

Al where is your Epoxy thread, I wanted to take the mickey out of you but I can’t find it?

Edit found it, and every one has done all the micturate removal already.

toys19
    Free Member

The answer is yes of course, but only if you design it correctly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If a ride-able bike can be made at home from balsa wood and carbon fibre, I imagine some brake mounts can be safely added to a frame.

Of course the al-haterz seek to bully me for my free-thinking ways 🙄

toys19
    Free Member

make some sketches, I’ll do some calcs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CBA with calcs, though I may need to think about bracing if I do this on forks.

toys19
    Free Member

Well a few simple sketches could well inform you of the bestest way to do this, but if you CBA then I shall leave you to your detractors then.

coatesy
    Free Member

Turning the bar shouldn’t be a problem, not sure if i’ve got a tap long enough to go all the way through, but could tap both ends if that’s any use.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Have you tried your local fasteners to get some suitable shim/hollow rod and then just run a tap down it.

BB-7 callipers bolt straight onto a post-mount for 160mm rotors (on the fork). If the frame or fork has an IS mount then you’ll need an adaptor.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘BB7 and machining questions’ is closed to new replies.