Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • BB30 shell width issue – Enduro 29
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I naively thought BB30 chainsets would be interchangeable, however it seems the Enduro 29er frame I’m building up has a narrower hub shell than the Boardman HT that I’ve “borrowed” a chainset from.

There’s a few mm difference, meaning far too much play even when the chainset is cranked up good and tight.

All Google is giving me is loads of horror stories about BB30. Am I being a numpty? Do I need an additional spacer? A different spec chainset?

TIA 🙂

renton
    Free Member

What chainset are you trying to fit?

Im sure the Sram OE thing that came on my Stumpy had a spacer fitted to take up a gap when it was fitted.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sram GX OE chainset, this is with a spacer fitted on the driveside BTW.

Tracey

How wide is the spacer, Ours on the Enduros and Stumpjumpers have a 9mm spacer but thats for 1x X0 SRAM. I think that a smaller spacer is used on some bikes

Tracey

renton
    Free Member

Aye, that 9.1mm spacer is the same as the one that came on my bike.

Also Ive just fitted a GX 1000 chainset to my 529 and there is quite a large gap on the drive side between the cup and chainset however its not enough of a gap for it to be loose.

Apparently there is meant to be a gap though?

MSP

See that bit with the + – on it, you do realise that can be adjusted to take up the slack? There is a little alen bolt to release it first.

chakaping
    Free Member

Renton – yes there is supposed to be that gap & spacer.

Tracey – thanks – there’s also a 13mm-odd spacer apparently.

MSP – Erm, that could well be the solution if it can preload 3 or 4mm worth of play out of the equation. Will investigate as soon as I knock off work here.

chakaping
    Free Member

Still a couple of mm play left in it.

Anyone know if there’s supposed to be a spacer covering the bearings on the driveside, inboard of the wide spacer?

That’s my suspicion, as the bearing that side is currently unshielded.

vincienup
    Free Member

No experience of BB30 but it’s normal for SRAM GXP BB’s to have bearing covers that just lift off. I’ve been sold BBs with these missing before now.

kent
    Free Member

If you are using a standard PF 30 sram BB there is a cover that goes over the bearing as per the picture.

Tracey

We have both the SRAM and the Hope BBs and both have a bearing cover as well as the spindle spacer.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s the issue then, will drop the seller a line. Fingers crossed.

Looks thicker than the standard orangey Sram GXP bearing covers, yeah?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘BB30 shell width issue – Enduro 29’ is closed to new replies.