Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • BB woes – how to remove one?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

A square taper bottom bracket. I have the correct tool. Fit it to the non-drive side (plastic). Think ‘does it turn clockwise or anti clockwise?

Needn’t have worried as it spins reasonable easily in either direction. Unfortunately neither direction tightens or loosens it.

Suggestions please?

wwaswas

undo the other side and remove the bb from that end.

push the cup from the inside of the bb with a flat bladed screwdriver whilst turning it to remove.

or just burn it out with a blow torch?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay, the other side is metal. Please confirm do I turn it clockwise or anticlockwise to loosen it?

elliptic
    Free Member

Driveside BB is lefthand thread (clockwise to loosen).

joe1983
    Free Member

driveside anti clockwise to loosen, i.e opposite direction to normal pedal motion

scaredypants

as wwaswas says, if the plastic thread’s gone it’s useless (and obviously not seized to the BB unit if it spins) so you just need to undo the other side

drive side should be left-hand thread (ie comes out clockwise)

If you can, hold the tool in the splines (using a bolt, or QR skewer if axle is hollow – If BB is old it might be bloody stiff to shift & you don’t want the tool slipping

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thanks – that is what I thought but always best to check

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Tool held in vice. Frame resting on top and gently turned.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

no skin on my knuckles. LBS tomorrow!

scaredypants

bolt the tool into the axle & get stuck in

maybe using some high voltage home-made device in a creative way?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

no bolts long enough in the garage

MrAgreeable

Use a crank bolt and a big washer.

emac65
    Free Member

One of these is useful for square bb’s to hold the bb tool in place if you haven’t got a vice

johnners
    Free Member

Whose advice are you following about direction to undo?
    joe1983 is wrong, scaredypants is right.

Driveside is clockwise to undo.

joe1983
    Free Member

oops!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I had this problem yesterday (driveside) I used a quick clamp(it will give a bit) to hold the tool on, much like above, then i used a **** off pair of adjustable’s and smacked it very hard with a lump hammer to shock it(clockwise) & hey presto once it moves a touch it will keep going(remember if you use a clamp, especially like above, you won’t get far as you are fighting the clamp), if the threads are really rusty then get some penetrating fluid on there & go back & forth, do not try to get it out in one go as you could ‘pull’ the threads.
    Good luck ;o)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Will try a quick clamp in the morning. Ti frame so hopefully no rust

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

No rust on the frame is not the same as no rust on a steel BB, if you think it’s to tight it probably is, don’t chance it on an expensive frame, shock works well to get a BB moving, but if it remains tight then there must be a reason.

Good luck (again).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘BB woes – how to remove one?’ is closed to new replies.