Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bb replacement or just a bearing?
  • rherbert
    Free Member

Hi all

This may be a really silly question and may have been answered before so please be gentle…

I have a commencal meta am 4.2 essential and when cleaning the drive train the other day noticed the non drive side bearing sounded like it had sand in it and felt very rough to turn.

I am guessing it has dried up probably my fault, likely I got some degreaser or pressure washer too near it. It is a stock bb92 gxp pressfit affair and I don’t believe the bearings are serviceable?

What should I replace it with if that is necessary, do I need to replace it with the same thing? It has only lasted 8 months so reluctant to do that would prefer something of better quality.

Thoughts and advice greatfully recieved.

Rich

mikewsmith
    Free Member

got the same thing, BB sounded crap on day 3, until it goes it’s going to be run to death but then replaced with the hope version. 8 months seems like a good innings for an OEM BB

deadkenny
    Free Member

Technically you can get the bearings out and replace them, but cost of bearings will be similar to cost of a new BB. You could try servicing them, but will still need to get them out, and it’s a right faff, plus depends if the bearings and races are pitted.

Your problem is it’s pressfit. You’ll need the tools for it.

You’ll have to keep with the same BB if you keep the cranks, though you can get third party stuff and use a GXP adapter, e.g. Hope http://www.hopetech.com/product/press-fit/ (I think?). Theirs an some others also feature ability to screw the two ends together which may or may not help with classic press fit creaking.

rherbert
    Free Member

This is v helpful thanks guys.

matt_outandabout

GXP BB’s did this on me every 3 months, regardless of riding conditions. Keep an eye out in sales and just buy four and put them in the spares box for when they go.
    Shimano FWIW I get a year or so out of, for cheaper Deore BB’s.

rherbert
    Free Member

Would you say something like the hope ones are worth the extra money?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bb replacement or just a bearing?’ is closed to new replies.