Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • BB question
  • thatfatbloke
    Free Member

I visit here every day and never post. in fact I have 1 post. Now I have a question for the single track boffins. I have got a frame with an old Octilink BB . Can I just remove the BB and replace it with an external BB. I’m also going to change from a 3 ring to a single so also want some info on single ring and set up. ta very much.

sillyoldman

Yes. Worth getting the BB shell chased and faced by your LBS to ensure bearing alignment – helps the BB work better and for longer.

DezB
    Free Member

You do mean you’re replacing the chainset too?
    I’ve never had a BB shell faced and wouldn’t say it’s absolutely necessary, depends on your time, budget and whether you have an LBS I suppose.

butcher

Yeah, you would need a compatible chainset to go with it, and of course the tools to fit (if doing it yourself). But other than that, shouldn’t be a problem.

sillyoldman

Facing shells is definitely worthwhile – it’s the only way you can ensure that the faces are parallel and perpendicular to the threads. If they’re not, you get reduced bearing life. It costs so little, it’s crazy not to.

thatfatbloke
    Free Member

I am planning on changing the chain set. Its running a triple at the moment but want to go single. looking at a few on CRC. will have to check if the LBS can face the shell other wise its a trip to Exeter or beyond. I’m good for tools . since getting back on the bike I have invested in a good selection of tools and a decent stand. then I have you tube for any problems fitting components. will wip out the old BB tomorrow and get a new one ordered if the LBS don’t stock them.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

If a frame is new then would the BB already be faced? Or does it depend on the maker of said frame?

sillyoldman

Yes – depends on brand. Very few are faced. Pretty clear if it’s been done as it removes paint.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘BB question’ is closed to new replies.