Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • BB play – SRAM GXP
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Fitted to my CX bike.

/installed a new BB SRAM GXP everything goes on OK but even after greasing up and tightening the crank arm – Truvativ – there is still play in the set up.

Help Please…

Rich
    Free Member

Is it the correct torque?
    Right amount of spacers fitted?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Dont have a torque wrench…went with tight but not HULK tight.

68mm shell no spacers required.

mtbfix

What he said. Of course, by virtue of it being a Truvativ BB, you will have caused severe wear on it by looking at it wrong.

somafunk

Pay attention to the torque setting on the truvativ crank arm – if it is the one where you have to tighten an alloy bolt to 45-50 lb/ft torque then i recommend you do so otherwise you’ll bork the crank arm splines when it comes loose. As you don’t have a torque wrench i’d use a 8mm hex socket and a big bar, tighten it up as far you dare, then a wee bit more.

PaulD
    Free Member

68mm shell needs a spacer each side at least, possibly 2 on the Drive Side.

Check the online fitting instructions.

PaulD

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Thanks Paul D, have checked this and you are correct. I took it that no spacers were on it originally and so followed this.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

unless truvativ are special 68mm is 2 drive side 1 non drive side spacer, 73mm is one drive side spacer only.

coatesy
    Free Member

Pretty sure Truvative have only one spacer either side on 68mm MTB set-up (road type 68mm may be different a-la Shimano), but spacers missing shouldn’t create play as the non-drive bearing is clamped between the crank and the step on the axle, the axle then floats in the drive side bearing no matter where it is. Are you confusing play with just a gap between the cup and driveside crank, which is as it’s supposed to be.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

if it is a cx chainset (road) then you won’t need spacers at all. only on mtb set-ups.

They had a recall a long time ago where the left bearing was manufactured too small and they simply swapped the offending bb’s out.

yours will have an identifying code somewhere and if you call the shop you bought it from they should be able to sort it no problem.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ok: no way I can get this on tighter without dislocating my arm.
    Remember from the last time when the shop said no spacers as the cx set up is the same as road bikes.
    So any other suggestions?

crftom
    Free Member

Just to be clear is the play left to right on the axle or up an down??

flowerpower
    Free Member

SBH is in a meeting – so his personal secretary here… 😉

The play is up and down, so when the bb is installed and the cranks fitted you can take the cranks in each hand and wiggle them up/down or forward/backward.

crftom
    Free Member

Sound like its not a gxp bb as the none drive Side bearing is smaller on a gxp, can we have pics????

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘BB play – SRAM GXP’ is closed to new replies.