Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • BB help please
  • lauraly
    Free Member

Ok I am a newbie and have got a Marin East Peak 13.5″ frame, not sure what year.

Anyway just wanted to ask what size bb i can use…I know nothing out BB’s so please can you tell me what things look for when buying.

This is the bike

uplink
    Free Member

What cranks will you be using?

lauraly
    Free Member

Not sure, havent got them yet, nothing too fancy.

uplink
    Free Member
    lauraly
    Free Member

thank you so much, really appreciate the help, I am sure I will be back with more questions.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Lauraly; I’m assuming, by your name and the small frame size, that you are either female and/or quite young and smallish. About 5’2″ish, or thereabouts?

Therefore, you need to be looking at cranks with slightly shorter arms than in the link provided by Uplink (175mm). You should be looking more at crank arm length of 160-170mm. I60 and 165mm cranks may be harder to find, and more spensive. You might find anything over 170mm a little long, as the pedaling circle diameter will be just that bit larger. Could possibly lead to knee problems.

Do you know what length cranks you are running at the moment? Should have the length on the backs of the arms, often near the pedal thread.

Of course, you may already be using 175mm cranks, and find them perfectly comfortable.

For comparison, I’m 5′ 5″, and find 170mm cranks to be the most comfortable and efficient, with gears. I do have long shins, though, and am ok with 175mms.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I am 6ft and find 170mm cranks perfick

lauraly
    Free Member

I really appreciate your guys help.

You are absolutely correct I am a girl of 5.3 ft,At the moment I only have the frame and rear shock,

I have posted a wanted add for a few bits but have limited cash so have to do it cheaply and bit by bit. I have been out of the bike scene for about 8 years now but going to get into it but wow technology and choices have changed. There are too many and I feel like I know nothing!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Crank length is quite subjective (hence the long person’s response about 170mm cranks being fine for them), but smaller people won’t find longer cranks comfortable, ime. Women tend to have proportionately longer legs, and shorter torsos, so may find longer cranks ok.

I’d stick a wanted up for some short cranks. See what turns up.

I’m also assuming that you aren’t very heavy. Therefore, issues of stiffness etc won’t affect you as much as big, hefty people. So an older square taper bottom bracket system would probbly be more than adequate. You might find someone wants to get rid of some perfectly good smaller cranks, to ‘upgrade’.

I’m sure, if you stick around here, plenty of good folk will be happy to help you out.

Nice little frame, that.

Where do you live? Might be good to get other STW ladies to help out with advice on stuff. For EG; Cinnamon Girl knows her onions, and is based in Berkshire. As too does Mamadirt, who’s about your size; I think she’s over in South Wales?

walleater

You’ll also need to check how wide the bottom bracket shell is, but you can do that with a rule/r. It’ll be 68mm or 73mm.

lauraly
    Free Member

I am in Brighton – East Sussex, I will def take your advice.

Thanks, I like the frame too, I literally just bought it off ebay a little while ago,

once again I am very grateful for your help

Is there a book out there you could suggest for bike building and maint?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Brighton? Then definitely Soft Southern Shandy Drinker territory! You’ll have to come on rides with us, when you get the bike done up!

I’ve never really used a bike maintenance book, but I think Haynes do one, that covers quite a bit on current designs of bike bits.

But posting on here will probbly give you all the info you need!

Do you have any techy minded mtb friends? Maybe people with the right tools, can show you how to do stuff? S’how I learnt.

Another thing with cranks, is that each type and design will need a certain length BB axle. Typically about 113mm, but can be longer or shorter, depending on design. I understand the newer external bearing type come complete, as BB and cranksets, making this a little easier.

One VERY important thing about BBs is; the drive side, with the chainrings, screws into the frame counter clock wise. The other side screws in clockwise, like most other bolts and screws and bits.

What level are your bike building skills at? You’ve mentioned you are quite new to all this, and building a bike from scratch can be a daunting process. Not something for the faint hearted!

Good luck with it all, though. Look forward to seeing it all built up.

lauraly
    Free Member

For sure I am keen although need alot of work to get fit before riding with you guys though lol.

I put my first marin similar to this one together like 7 or 8 years back while I was working for Evans in london so I had loads of help from the guys in the workshop and all the parts I needed but you are right it is a bit of daunting task now that I look at it but I am quite a technical person and repair computers and mobiles in my spare time so I figure I will just learn as I go + you guys are awsome when it comes to helping a gal out with advice.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well at least you’ve got the right attitude, and are willing to give it a go!

As for the fitness thing; don’t worry! The SSSD aren’t exactly Tour De France material! No, we take it easy, ride along, have a laugh. S’all about having a good time, in good company. You’d be more than welcome.

lauraly
    Free Member

Thanks for that, I def up for it once I have my bike up and running. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘BB help please’ is closed to new replies.