Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • BB axle length – 113 to 118
  • timb34
    Free Member

I’m not sure what to do about this, so looking for some advice…

My bike was originally this spec:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/rockhopper-sl-comp-2010-mountain-bike-ec020000#features

Which shows the BB as ES25 68 x 118.

About a year ago the LBS replaced the BB.

This now needs replacing again and I’ve bought the tool to do it myself along with a new 68×118 ES25.

However, it turns out that the BB put in by the LBS (which they oddly didn’t charge me for) is a 68×113 ES51.

I’ve only realised the difference in length now I’ve put in the new BB, reattached the cranks and seen that the FD is in the wrong place.

So, what should I do? Accept that the LBS chucked in whatever they had and I’ve been riding around with a nominally too short axle?

Assume that the spec is wrong, the LBS replaced like-for-like and replace with a similar 68×113?

Does it make that much difference anyway?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Spesh website says 118 (link)

I guess if you didn’t notice a problem then don’t worry, so long as the cranks are the same the new 118 will be same as the original.

timb34
    Free Member

Just been for a test ride.

I think I can convince myself that having my feet 5mm apart feels much better…

wordnumb
    Free Member

I’d love to know how you got through an ES51 in a year, I’ve found them to be fairly indestructible, even following river crossings.

timb34
    Free Member

Thinking about it, it might be two years.

It wasn’t completely dead, but had noticeable play and a grinding noise when pushing hard.

I ride in mostly bone dry conditions, so I guess it’s just one of those things.

As the LBS didn’t charge me it’s possible that they put in a pre-used BB from another bike. At the time I thought they were being extra nice to make up for a mix-up that had occurred.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Somtimes the spec on websites can be wrong ,
    Somtimes shops will fit somthing that’s not quite the original spec but works just fine

Bb length is about chain line and less about how it feels
    And yes I know a longer bb gives a wider Q factor but most people can’t tell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘BB axle length – 113 to 118’ is closed to new replies.