Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • BB and Crank help needed
  • marcolemon
    Free Member

My current chainrings have worn out and so I’m looking at replacement options. I’ve done some research and like the idea of a 1×10 setup with a raceface narrow-wide chainring at the front.

However the cranks I have (FSA Comet) only have 3 chainring bolts so it looks like they will need replacing as well (they are pretty beat up so I was going to change them anyway). I’d like to spend no more than £150 on the crank arms but looking on CRC it seems like all the cranks either have chainrings already or don’t have a spider so I don’t know if I’m missing something here?

I’m also lost when it comes to BB compatibility and what works with what. I have a 2012 Boardman FS team and an internet search seemed to say that it came with a BB30, however my LBS replaced it last year (see images) and so I don’t know if its a different type. Will I need a new BB to work with new cranks?

Current gearing is 2×10 SRAM x7, and I mainly ride XC/Trail

Thanks in advance 🙂

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/N3k58lgDAkscgbHxuw_vxiVXxKjzMJyg4l7Gtpdvkw=s223-p-no[/img]

toppers3933
    Free Member

That looks like an fsa megaexo bottom bracket. Threaded not bb30. Buy a bb tool and remove it. If I were you, I’d buy an slx chainset and bb. I’d take the rings off and sell em (or keep as a spare) and attach a narrow wide ring. (Race face are pretty colours but you’ll find cheaper if you look around).
    Fit and forget.
    That’s what I’d do. If the budget ran to it I’d probably buy XT over SLX.

marcolemon
    Free Member

XT chainset is only £95 w/ BB atm so looks like a good shout. Stupid question, I know you cant mix shimano and sram gearing, but I’m guessing cranks arms themselves dont count? And you’re right, the pretty colours on the race face have tempted me but it also seems to get good reviews almost everywhere.
    Thanks for the help!

benpinnick

My advice would be to buy shimano XT 3x cranks, a thick thin ring, some new short cranks bolts and sell the rings you take off to cover some of the costs. The cranks will come with a bb

benpinnick

Yes the cranks will be compatible, and as said there’s cheaper ring options available than RF too if budget gets tight.

marcolemon
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, everything comes in at less than I was expecting to pay for the cranks alone which is a bonus. Looking forward to getting it all set up now 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘BB and Crank help needed’ is closed to new replies.