Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BB ADVICE
  • huggis
    Free Member

I need to replace the BB on my cross bike (again!). The spec on the Gensis website for the model year does not specify the model that I have but think it may be a Shimano 105 hollotech II. Markings on it read BC1.37 x 24.

Chainset is a Shimano 105 triple.

Anyone suggest what I could get that would be more reliable than the current (105?) model. They only seem to be lasting a few hundred miles.

Bike is used as winter road bike and touring.

huggis
    Free Member

.. Also can an ultergera BB be used with a 105 Chainset?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Hope!
    Oh and yes Ultergera well fit

huggis
    Free Member

Cheers Rob

paul4stones

I have the same problem on a 2007 Vapour. The original fitted at the lbs lasted a while but the ones I’ve fitted have packed up much sooner. Having said that I have done a lot more off road and mucky rides latterly than in the first couple of years of ownership. Just paid the lbs to try and quieter the latest one down. I think they just took it all apart and greased everything and made sure everything was the correct tension but it’s worked for now. I don’t bother buying expensive BBs.

watsontony
    Free Member

I don’t bother buying expensive BBs.

imo its worth spending money hear

RobHilton
    Free Member

BBs are pretty easy to service. Sharp pick, cotton buds, IPA, new grease and about 20 mins of your time.

huggis
    Free Member

Having ridden MTB for many years and I think only once replaced a BB I’m frustrated at why these are packing up so quickly. Perhaps the loads when touring are too much.

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s not been mentioned yet, but don’t overtighten the preload cap when fitting the cranks, it’s a sure-fire way of destroying your bearings quickly, it only needs to be nipped up with light finger pressure.
    Edit: If you go Hope, the road version has different parts(2 thinner spacers, and shorter centre-tube)than the MTB one, so don’t get caught out 🙂

kilo

I’ve replaced a couple of bb’s (one shimano hollowtech and one sugino square taper) with token BB’s and so far they have been quite good

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BB ADVICE’ is closed to new replies.