Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • BB 30 crank options
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Iv’e always had shimano hgear on my bikes but last year I bought a SRAM equipped 2013 Specialized Stumpy evo fsr.

Love the bike but my bottom bracket has collapsed and resulted in the axle being marred by the bearing rendering it useless and needing new cranks and axle.

My LBS helped me out to get me out the mire and fitted a cheap nast basic SRAM offering to get me back on the trails asap.

The bike came with SRAM XO (I think its X0) carbon cranks.

Can anyone suggest a good quality aluminium offering that would fit with a standard hope 30T narrow wide ring 175mm long cranks and fit my bb30 bottom bracket? Not rally sure what I’m looking for as Iv’e always had shimano XT hollowtech gear on other bikes.

Cheers

riddoch

Why not get something like BB30 axle reducer that will let you run a shimano cranks in a BB30?

theotherjonv

^ this, or even better spend the bit extra and get a Praxis BB30 reducer for Shimano. Have heard those reducer shims can work loose / creak, my Praxis has been faultless due to being a BB shell in iself that simultaneously tightens in against the BB faces, and also expands internally to grip the shell

http://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

about twice the price of those converters, but bearings are replaceable with easily available aftermarket ones (although in the best bike industry dichotomy of recent times, if you replace the bearings – which of course aren’t a warranty item – you invalidate the warranty. But what’s a warranty worth on a BB that is essentially **** anyway unless you replace the bearings, which invalidates the warranty, which……)

dovebiker

Shimano XT with Praxis or KCNC HT2 adaptor would probably be the most durable. Anything that relies on the BB30 bearings pressed in the frame is going to start creaking sooner or later, if the bearings haven’t corroded into oblivion beforehand.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I converted my camber evo with a praxis converter thingie and a 11 speed xt. Works brilliantly. Actually when I say ‘I’ converted I mean the bike shop did it. No creaking just lovely!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘BB 30 crank options’ is closed to new replies.