Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Battle on the Beach 15
  • aP
    Free Member

We’re intending to do this next year, as a prelude to Paris-Roubaix after Easter.
    Any stories, tips etc from those that’ve ridden it before?

gee
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate how hard riding into a headwind down a beach for 5 miles is.

You need to stay in a group and echelon into the wind.

The sand is firm and so an MTB on semi slicks is perfect.

GB

cloudnine
    Free Member

Whats the rest of the course like??
    Rideable on a cx bike.. more precisesly a Tripster with 42c tyres?

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Do they have waste deep puddles at Paris Roubaix ?

taxi25
    Free Member

Last year there was probably more cross bikes than any other type if bike, nothing to technical so you’ll be fine. 29er race mtb for me though.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Waist deep even 😳

gee
    Free Member

It’s rideable on a cross bike, but to really hammer the trails an MTB would be better.

mooman
    Free Member

Cx bikes were most common bike used last year. Nothing technical at all. The only problem for cx bike was the soft sand as you went onto beach, 100yd sprint on to the hard sand and all good.
    As already said – you must get into a peloton to do beach. And do your turn on front too because it was very hard into that wind!
    My choice of bike would be a fully rigid 29er with semi slicks.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks all, we’ll see what happens.
    gee – we’re quite happy riding a wheel in a line, maybe not at your pace though 😉
    Waist deep puddles at P-R? Not for the last 8 years, but I reckon it’s due an appearance in ’15…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

You never know… there might be a tailwind 😉

Last year we had record rainfalls and floods. In an average year, then it isn’t like that… plus it was only knee deep unless you are a hobbit! 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Charge Bikes did a nice little video last year, which gives some idea:

[video]http://vimeo.com/89404194[/video]

rusty90
    Free Member

A few ‘damp patches’ last year, but a great event. Not many places where you can see an echelon containing a CX bike, an MTB and a fat bike.
    A bit of this

A bit of that

A bit of the other

mooman
    Free Member

I notice a price increase mentioned. Any idea what it has gone up to?
    Would be a shame if it went the way of the Dragon ride (not for the organisers obviously).

mtbmatt
    Free Member

£26, including camping & the park fee.

mooman
    Free Member

Thanks. Happy with that. I was concerned it would be pushed over my ‘moral entry price’ … Pheww

john_l
    Free Member

Rode it on a ‘cross bike last year – was fine. 29er would’ve been faster in the wooded sections, but with a grippy front tyre Don’t do what the Dutch did (not the Koga peeps) & turn up with Super Motos at both ends & then complain that the course is too dangerous. 🙂

Anonymous
    Free Member

Was going to enter this until I saw the middle picture

mooman
    Free Member

It was only the one sand dune back onto single track. It was a bit of a bottleneck 1st lap, but not too bad. The large puddle had me front ending off the X bike though

rusty90
    Free Member

Was going to enter this until I saw the middle picture

Don’t be put off, its only a tiny bit (30 yards?) of the course which is basically out along the beach and back on singletrack. Its the mixture of the two that makes it interesting.

flashes
    Free Member

I did it on a Fatbike, a really good event. The puddles of doom were interesting…….I’d do it again.

richellicott
    Free Member

I’m thinking of entering this year. I’m currently building up a rigid 29er with a 3 inch front tyre so think it will be just about right. But I’m going single speed though just to make it interesting 🙂

aP
    Free Member

I’m wondering whether to ride a rigid 29er with Thunder Burts or cross bike with Dugast Typhoons, both at low to medium pressures.

flashes
    Free Member

Please don’t enter this as I’m trying to improve on this years’ 197th overall…………

mtbmatt
    Free Member
    bendertherobot
    Free Member

If I’m not number 001 then I don’t have the fastest fingers out there. Mind, remembering my paypal password took a while…….

RobHilton
    Free Member

In.

Now back to bad :mrgreen:

aP
    Free Member

We’ve just both entered….

mtbmatt
    Free Member

If I’m not number 001 then I don’t have the fastest fingers out there. Mind, remembering my paypal password took a while…….

Unfortunately you were not the first!

bendertherobot
    Free Member

Damn!

mooman
    Free Member

Was it me?

bendertherobot
    Free Member

If I can’t be first, then, please, please, please let me be 7th 😉

mtbmatt
    Free Member

No mooman. First entry came in within 1 minute.
    That is going through the entry form and paypal. Fast fingers.

bendertherobot
    Free Member

I’d have beaten that if I could remember my password 😀

Right, off to measure max tyre width for my cx

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Filling up fast. Less than 100 places left now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m in too..

Need a decent B&B if anyone knows one local (ish) or Hotel where I can store my bike..

Ta

😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m in signed up still wrecked then went to bed.

Singlespeed rigid unfashionably wheels for me

kuman
    Free Member

I’m in and looking forward to it. Will be riding rigid single speed 29er.

mattnoble
    Free Member

I did this last year on a rigid 29er single speed and it was the best event of the year (not that I did loads) along side parkour bike. Really looking forward to it again. Placed 32nd in open male last year and looking to improve upon that this year. For anyone that hasn’t enetered yet, do, but be aware if you’re looking to race it (which I encourage you do) it’s hard!

flashes
    Free Member

I managed to enter twice. Now had one refunded. I’m hoping to beat my 197th overall. SS Fatbike for me again………..

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Last 30 places.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Battle on the Beach 15’ is closed to new replies.