Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Battle of Britain Flypast – from 1400
  • Yak

Flypast routes here:

About the Battle of Britain

First section at 1400 I believe then taking off at 4minute intervals.
    Green section for us hopefully.

theotherjonv

Starting 1200 according to what i read?

muggomagic

It’s been delayed to 2pm due to poor weather this morning.

I’m just across the way from Goodwood aerodrome and it’s looking pretty good out there now.

wwaswas

There’s three flights coming past Brighton – hoping to see at least one of them go past.

wwaswas

The telegraph are doing ‘live’ coverage of 15/9/40 in real time;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/battle-of-britain/11865303/The-Battle-of-Britain-as-it-happened-on-September-15-1940-live.html

Some moving stuff in there.

theotherjonv

It’s been delayed to 2pm due to poor weather this morning.

I’ll stop earnestly scanning the sky for a bit then……

wwaswas

At air bases across the south-east, Spitfires and Hurricanes are coming back to earth. The mechanics mob them immediately.

Tom Neil, now the battle’s only surviving fighter ace, recalls:

Quote My crew were excited when I returned, the charred gun ports a sure sign of action. Running towards me, their enthusiasm waned when my face told the story. Nothing? Hard luck, sir, they sympathised.

They hooked in the bowser and tore off the wing panels to rearm the guns with endless yards of bullets. Guns okay? I thought so; they didn’t stop, anyway. A man dragging oxygen in my direction. Engine all right, sir? I said that it was but thought fit to complain of oil from the airscrew…they agreed and set about inspecting the front, also for bullet holes. Had I been hit? I didn’t think so, but you could never tell. They searched – hopefully.

Not a great squadron success. Lunch arrived with combat reports, plates and food sharing the same table. I sat in my bed, eating. Not too happy with my life. Finally, I lay back and, still in my Mae West, slept. Like a log.

Just some old boy you wouldn’t look at twice int he Post Office now.

Which maybe isn’t a bad thing?

wwaswas

Take off imminent.

granny_ring

You had a closer view than I did then!
    Was a great day, but my phone camera work was shite……

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Battle of Britain Flypast – from 1400’ is closed to new replies.