Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Battery powered PIR lights and simple household security measures
  • keppoch

I’m after some advice on behalf of my parents. They are off on holiday in a week. Last time they went away they were burgled yet they seem surprisingly reticent to put in place any additional measures.

I am trying to encourage them to put some PIR lights up. To make it easier I thought they could go for these battery powered ones from John Lewis.

Does anyone have any better recommendations of the same sort of thing and what other measures could they put in place that might help (house large semi-detached set back from the road with double glazed, has a locked gate on side access and automated household light setup). They have arranged for someone to park on the drive on a regular basis.

I was wondering about about an IP camera – doesn’t stop someone breaking I realise!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought some Mr Beams battery operated pir lights a couple of weeks ago. They have a ‘network’ feature which means you can link them so when one is activated they all come on. These are around 200lumens and I’m very pleased with them.

johndoh
    Free Member

I looked at a few then decided to spend the £100 or so it cost on getting an electrician in and wiring up a couple of spotlights on shared PIRs (so if either PIR is triggered, both spots come on). Don’t have to worry about them losing charge in the depths of winter and they are brighter than a small sun.

keppoch

Thanks Gary those look good.

johndoh they won’t be doing that. They hate the way they look and are leaving for holiday in a week.

simon_g

I have a Mr Beams one in the shed, 4 big D cells in it last a year.

Hue lights are good for making it look like people are home, you can set on/off times with up to an hour of randomness so they’re not coming on at exactly the same time every day, and they’re in the regular ceiling fixutres not a table lamp on a timer. Under £100 gets you the bridge and a few bulbs to get started.

kilo

We have the usual lights on timers and a radio (via our Sonos) on a timer to come on each day, should anyone check the house it gives the appearance of someone being at home. Presuambly the previous point of entry has been reinforced? No one available to house sit?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I do have a PIR mains light at the back dor but the Mr Beams lights are a neat install and I don’t need to run conduit right round the house to get lights at all the doors.

I also do the auto internal lights thing with a mixture of timers in 2 rooms and hive in another 2.

MB25 will give you 25% off mr beams too. I just ordered these, one for a shed and 2 for round the caravan.

keppoch

I live a long way away but will probably go a few nights as I can stop between work trips, other neighbours will be in and out reguarly (plants etc) but no one can stay there longer term.

The previous point of entry has indeed been improved (entire new patio windows) and improvements to the side access gate to make it harder to climb over.

keppoch

oh – thanks for the code – I think that may clinch it!

Gary_M
    Free Member

You won’t be disappointed, they’re great wee lights. They also do ground spikes if you want them in the ground.

backinireland
    Free Member
    jimjam
    Free Member

OP you can get solar pir leds from all over the place. I have one out of screw fix and so far it has been pretty good. Planning on getting more. The only thing is figuring out where on the property to put them!

Northwind

Yeah, I got a few cheap solar ones from Amazon, they’re amazingly good for the money and you can put them basically anywhere. They won’t fool anyone into thinking there’s someone home, mind, but supposedly adding light is a good simple deterrant. ALso, really convenient!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Been very impressed with these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01DNFYAV8/

dmorts

Had these for a year, solar powered/rechargeable, still going strong Solar security lights

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

BUMP!

jimjam, do you mean similar to the Amazon lights in my post? If so do you have a link to a cheaper ebay version?

jimjam
    Free Member

hold my beer.

Apologies – I see that you had linked to a twin pack, and I assumed it was a single since that’s about the price Screwfix charge for one of those little 24led solar pir jobbies. They are available on ebay under the name litom for about £9.99 per light, or £23 for a pair which is really no different from your link.

There are these little guys which also look very similar for under a tenner.

I just mounted another Screwfix twin spot solar pir …it works very very well. Wish I could find an ebay alternative ’cause I’d have the house looking like Las Vegas.

jimjam
    Free Member

….this one. I see screwfix are sold out again (they only just re-stocked).

….any ebay/amazon equivalents greatly appreciated. Kind of looks like a wee sad faced robot.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Do they have broadband/wifi?

If so have a look at the Ring door bells. I’ve just fitted a Ring Pro (wired) but they do a battery version which lasts months between charges.

You can set the app to notify you of any movement/door bell rings and can watch/listen live via the app.

Not a full cctv system granted but for ease of use/installation I’d recommend one for what you’re looking for.

jimjam
    Free Member

bluearsedfly – Member

Do they have broadband/wifi?

Unfortunately not – they are just battery powered leds charged with a solar panel. I think screwfix quotes them as 3/400 lumens or so. I have a pair of them, in addition to a pair of lap 50w led pir lights @ 3700 lumens.

My plan is to get a pair of 100w 10,000 lumen floods for the corners and
    I want to get at least another solar job for a wall which has no lights and no power to it, hence would appreciate any good ebay suggestions.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Have a look on amazon and sort search results by four star and above and to prime, preferably with plenty of feedback.

tenfoot

That screw fix one up there ^^^^ doesn’t work for me between the months of November and February due to the sun not getting high enough to clear some large trees about 200 yards away. I had to back mine up with an electrically operated light. Worth a look at the local surroundings, especially as Nov-Feb is when you need them most

jimjam
    Free Member

That’s interesting. I’ve had no issues with mine and have (at one side) a forest with some pretty large trees. I’ve also been using it for 20 minutes+ a few times to split some wood, no issues. My feeling is that if it requires direct sunlight then it’s not fit for purpose, I’m assuming ambient will be enough, otherwise I’ll be warrantying mine. If it can’t work in the countryside how the hell would it work in a town or suburban street with houses all round.

Anyway, touch wood all good so far.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Battery powered PIR lights and simple household security measures’ is closed to new replies.