Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Battery Packs for Lights (Electrical Geek Question)
  • phutphutend

After about 8years usage the battery pack on my Lumicycle lights has packed up. Lumicycle want £140 for a new battery pack, so I thought that I'd try to build a new set for myself. A trip to Maplin and a quick internet search shows that the cells for my battery pack are going to cost around £70.

All sounds vert expensive to me?

A further internet search shows that camcorder battery packs of the same voltage and capacity, 400 mAh, cost about £20.

So could i use a camcorder pack? Do I have any other options?

nbt

Ask Smudge, he's the purveyor of batteries on here, the last lumicycle replacement battery I had off him was about £40

Del

as with all things quality costs. weight and longevity will be factors here. also are you talking li-ion or nimh? li-ion is not really suitable for the DIYer, unless you know a bit about what you're doing, IMHO.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I've got a brand new Lumicycle one, bought late last year but not used.

coffeeking
    Free Member

4000mah surely?

Camcorder packs are generally designed for fairly low-current use, lighting is often high-current – you might drastically shorten their life or simply have too high an internal resistance to produce enough power, hard to tell withotu specifics.

phutphutend

The current batteries are NiMH, so that was all i was going to do.

Smudge, where are you? Sounds like you might be the man i need to speak to.

Trailseeker, is your spare pack for sale? How much you after?

smudge
    Free Member

Hi Phut,

I can build you a Li-Ion battery and also charger no problems. Please email me direct as I'm pretty busy at the minute. smudgemtbukataoldotcom
    Smudge

stevemorg2

Smudge does a great job – you won't go wrong with one of his packs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Battery Packs for Lights (Electrical Geek Question)’ is closed to new replies.