Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Battery life out of an iPhone running Strava?
  • heihei

Anyone know how long you can expect out of an iPhone 4S running Strava?
    Am riding Edinburgh to London next week and don’t really want to take a laptop to upload Garmin data to Strava – would much prefer to do it via an iPhone.

P20

Technet battery case from amazon. Will massively increase your battery life. Under £20

Jtidyman
    Free Member

Turn off 3G and you’ll be able to run Strava (with the screen switched off) for hours. I used mine in Spain for 5 hours rides (with the data disabled) and it used 10-15% of a full battery (mine is a nearly 2 year old battered iPhone 4 so the battery is getting on a bit).

BFITH
    Free Member

My iPhone 5 only loses about 10% charge after a 2 hour strava – dont know wether the battery is better or worse than in a 4. As a comparison my 3Gs was usually flat after a 2 hour ride (from full charge). Age of the phone will have a big effect on battery consumption…..

mrmo
    Free Member

http://app.strava.com/activities/60519304

this is the recording from a 2 month old iphone 4s. I did use it a couple of times to figure where i was so that would have used a little battery life to light up the screen. I did not turn anything off, but the signal in the forest and around Abergavenny probably wasn’t the best.

does this help.

simon_g

As said, the screen kills it. Use it purely for logging and it’ll last ages. Have it on your bars showing map/navigation and it’ll destroy it pretty quickly.

GrahamS

Mentioned in another thread: for long rides I have an external battery pack which I stick in a top-tube tri-bag with a cable to the phone mounted on the bars. Can handle multiple days tracking that way.

(Edit: I never usually bother turning off Bluetooth etc. Note that if you turn off 3G and wifi then it may take a lot longer to get an initial GPS fix)

officialtob
    Free Member

You doing the Missing People cycle challenge by any chance? That goes from Edinburgh to London, starting on Sat. If so, I’ll be joining you 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Turn off wifi, Bluetooth and 3G and it will last for ages.

heihei

Thanks for the info. Will use the Garmin on the bars so am happy for the iphone to sit in my pocket with everything disabled.

@officialtob – no, our firm has organised it, so will be 60 or so riding, setting out on Wed to arrive Sun. Good luck!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Battery life out of an iPhone running Strava?’ is closed to new replies.