Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Battery died during Windows 10 update
  • andeh

Yes, I know, I’m an idiot, that’s a given. Laptop was plugged in, but socket was not switched on 😥

So, now my laptop won’t boot, it’s stuck on the loading screen, then clearly tries to do something as a window or 2 flashes up, but then gives up and starts again.

Advice please, as I’m despairing somewhat, how much of a **** is this?

Thanks in advance

Cougar

How far through the process was it?

Chances are you’re looking at a reinstall of the original OS (factory reset?) and then upgrading again. You might get away with downloading the W10 ISO and doing a repair, not something I’ve ever tried.

andeh

I’m not sure, I was cooking when it ran out. Last time I recall looking at it, it said it was at 71%.

I don’t think it came with a windows disc, just something titled Notebook PC User’s Driver. Is there any chance of getting my none cloud files back?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Well.

Your files will be intact, but you might need to hook the drive up to another machine to get them. Also, you’re a div for not having backups.

A factory reload, if it’s still on the original OS build, is probably possible from the recovery partition. F8 on boot, select Repair. But do that after you’ve secured your data.

Cougar

What was it originally btw, 7 or 8?

GrahamS

Another solution would be to use a Live CD or Bootable USB version of a Linux OS.

Boot your laptop with that, access the files on the drive and copy/upload them somewhere safe.

Then as Cougar says, do a reformat and reinstall.

andeh

My divishness is well documented tonight. It was Windows 8.

Thanks for the advice, I don’t have an enclosure for the drive, so will probably have to attempt booting Linux from a flash drive. Is that as simple as it sounds?

GrahamS

No. 😆

But it’s not too bad. Plenty of guides online.

andeh

It’s a pretty new computer so there’s not much on it……debating if I really care enough to attempt it.

So I can get to the bios, but can’t find a system repair feature anywhere. F8 does nothing.

andeh

SUCCESS! Through blind luck and 30mins of button jabbing the thing seems to have gathered its marbles!
    Hopefully it’s properly sorted and I don’t have to go through this every time I turn it on….but it’s still good for now, at least I have opportunity to backup my files if nothing else.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Stuff I learnt tonight:
    -Backup files more often
    -Plug-in, and turn on the socket to, the computer when updating

leffeboy

And create a usb recovery drive while you are at it

aracer
    Free Member

and certainly before doing a major update

seven
    Free Member

I’d suggest running the “sfc /scannow” command from the command window

It will look for corrupt system files and fix them. I needed to do it to get outlook working with windows 10

Not really sure why the don’t do it as part of the install, but them that’s MS for you

GrahamS

I’d suggest getting your files off then re-installing from scratch anyway.

That way you won’t get bitten on the arse later. (By this cock-up anyway)

andeh

Graham, would scannow have the same effect?

As it’s from a download, how would I go about reinstalling?

Incidentally, I did read that some Asus laptops were having issues with W10 in general. Is anyone running it btw? General thoughts? Is it an improvement over 8?

GrahamS

Graham, would scannow have the same effect?

If the battery died at an unknown point in the middle of an update then it could literally have been doing anything.

Personally I wouldn’t trust scannow to pick up all the potential problems.

As it’s from a download, how would I go about reinstalling?

I’m pretty sure you can download the Win10 ISO and install fresh from that. (Not done it myself but was mentioned on the other Win10 threads here)

petefromearth

Button jabbing 😀

That’s normally my approach too

bails

Yes, I know, I’m an idiot, that’s a given. Laptop was plugged in, but socket was not switched on

So, now my laptop won’t boot, it’s stuck on the loading screen, then clearly tries to do something as a window or 2 flashes up, but then gives up and starts again.

I did exactly the same when going from 7 to 10. Luckily it just came up with a “installation cancelled” message and rolled itself back to W7 and I was able to start the upgrade again.

I’m pretty sure you can download the Win10 ISO and install fresh from that. (Not done it myself but was mentioned on the other Win10 threads here)

Yep, I also did that. Use the Microsoft media creation tool (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 ) to create a usb stick or DVD that you can use to do a clean install at boot.

I fitted a new hard drive, all my documents are on a NAS so I was happy just to do a clean install rather than copy the old HD to the new one. I created the USB installation drive, swapped hard drives, booted from the USB, left the laptop doing it’s thing for about 30 minutes and came back to a fresh install of Windows 10.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve also downloaded the ISO. If you do it on Linux, MS let you just download the ISO rather than making you install something which doesn’t appear to add any value.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Battery died during Windows 10 update’ is closed to new replies.