Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bathroom extractor wiring question
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

In our bathroom we have an extractor fan which comes on for a set time whenever the lights are switched on. Today when the lights were switched on there was a “pop” and the circuit tripped off. Switched the trip on and still no lights or fan. Have now replaced all 3 bulbs and the lights work but still no fan.

There is no isolator switch for the fan that I can find as I think the regs changed fairly recently and this installation looks quite old. Would there be a fuse somewhere for the fan – if so where? I’ve cleaned out the dust from inside the fan but does it sound like the fan motor has bust?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Take out your volt meter …. Turn light on , measure across the fan.

If you have power your motors snookered , if you dont have power its else where.

The thing that causes these fans to stay on after lights off is a capacitor and pop is quite normal when they fail

wwaswas

We switched to a ‘quiet’ fan when our one got replaced.

Well worth the extra money if you do have to buy one, imo, it really is near silent still 2 years on.

stumpy01

The pop was probably a capacitor in the fan as mentioned above. Probably time to buy a new one…

smartboy
    Free Member

Can’t help with the electrical fault finding, but I installed an extractor with a movement-sensor so it activates when you are in there rather than one which only activates on a switch/lightswitch. Better for the lighter summer days perhaps?

gears_suck
    Free Member

These answers only address the fan not working. No one has considered why the lights are failing to come on as well. If the fan motor was at fault, yes the fan would quit, but the lights would not necessarily be affected too.
    Unless you know what you’re looking for, I’d be inclined to consult an electrician.

andyl
    Free Member

These answers only address the fan not working. No one has considered why the lights are failing to come on as well.

he replaced the bulbs and now they come on. I am guessing they just blew when something in the fan went pop, not unusual.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I once met an extractor fan………..ok, ok I`ll go now !

gears_suck
    Free Member

Sorry. I missed that bit.

russ295
    Free Member

There won’t be a fuse.
    Turn leccy off.
    Take cover of fan.
    There should be 3 wires and an earth wire.
    Turn leccy on and test for 230v across all wires to earth with the lights off.
    You should get 230v from 1. That’s the live.
    Turn lights on and you now should get 230v from 2. That’s the switched live.
    The other is a neutral.
    If you get all the correct readings the fan is ****.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all – replaced the main switch and all working again now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bathroom extractor wiring question’ is closed to new replies.