Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • bathroom electrical regs
  • ed34
    Free Member

I have a wall mounted 1KW bathroom heater i want to install in a bathroom. It will be outside zone 2, and according to regs portable equipment is allowed outside zone 2 that is not plugged into a socket in the bathroom, and has a flex length short enough to prevent it being allowed to enter zone 2.

So does this mean i could wall mount my heater outside zone 2 then run the cable from the rear of it through the wall into the garage (bathroom is adjacent to garage) and plug it into a socket in there (with an RCD device for extra safety)? Or is this not legal as my wall mounted heater is not a ‘portable device’ (despite it being of greater IP protection than a portable device!)

Anyway if it isn’t strictly legal, is it a safe way of doing it?

MarkLG
    Free Member

It’s pretty common to put heaters/towel rails, etc in bathrooms these days. We generally put a switched fused spur outside the bathroom and run the flex through the wall on the other side.
    Anything you put in a bathroom now needs to be on an RCD.

lakesrider
    Free Member

Can’t see why it wouldn’t be safe, but then I’m not an electrician. If heater meets relevant IP protection and also has rcd should be fine if socket in next room. Might not meet current regs though!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘bathroom electrical regs’ is closed to new replies.