Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • bathroom downlighters – what ip rating?
  • petrieboy

My bathroom is only 2500mm wide so I’m planning 1 light above the bath, one 5-600mm away and one 1100mm or so away.do they all need to be the same IP rating? And what that rating is??

winston_dog
    Free Member

With bathroom electrics its all about zones.

Bathroom zones explained

alanl
    Free Member

IPx4* will definitely meet the wiring regs requirements.
    In fact, there may be no need for any extra IP protection if the ceiling is over 2.25m high.
    It is all down to the room and conditions expected. If you spray the ceiling every day, then a higher rating should be used.
    I’d suggest getting IPx5 for above the bath, though it can be argued that the extra protection will not be required for a domestic bathroom.

IPx4 and x5 lights can be physically slightly different – the IPx5 sometimes have a smaller lens, to allow for a bigger seal.

*The first number is for solids protection, the 2nd for water, so it doesnt matter what the first number is, it is the 2nd that counts for bathrooms, but they are usually IP44/54/65 etc.

Make sure they are fire rated too, and give them plenty of space around the fitting above the ceiling. I’d recommend LED lamps too – far cooler and cost less to run.

alanl
    Free Member

With bathroom electrics its all about zones.
    Bathroom zones explained

I woudnt take the site linked to above as correct, as a quick look shows this gem:

“Extractor fans installed within zone 1 must be fitted with 12v SELV motors with the SELV transformers and isolators fitted outside of zone 0, 1 & 2.”

BS7671 Wiring regs says different, and that mains voltage fans CAN be fitted – Reg 701.55

petrieboy

Thanks guys. With the ceiling height, is that measured from the floor or the bottom of the bath? Inside of the bath is only 2100mm.

alanl
    Free Member

Floor to ceiling.If over 2.25m, it is outside of the bathroom zones, so any light fitting can be used – clearly that includes how far the light dangles down, so you can’t fit a chandelier if your ceiling height is 2.4m.

It is always advisable to go for a IPx4 in a bathroom, as they are subject to steam/spray from the shower occasionally etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘bathroom downlighters – what ip rating?’ is closed to new replies.