Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bath to Bristol Cycle Path Closure.
  • eskay

If anyone uses the section between Bitton and Saltford then be warned that it will be closed between May 26th to June 19th (for resurfacing).

http://bristolcyclingcampaign.org.uk/news/475-another-section-of-railway-path-closed

DanW
    Free Member

So, is that 3 sections closed in total or are the two others open again now? Not great to not have a diversion route in place either!

andyv
    Free Member

Brilliant, it definitely needs resurfacing.
    Happy with that.

eskay

Staple hill is open now.

I will use it as an excuse to ride the bridleways over landsown on the way to work!

The A4 or Kelston are not great commuting routes.

DanW
    Free Member

Good that the main diversion in Brizzle is now over. A trip over Lansdown isn’t a bad idea once you hit Bitton

DanW
    Free Member

If riding in the Bristol -> Bath direction, where is the best place to head off the Railway Bike Path and climb up on to Lansdown/ Cotswold Way? Leaving the bike path at Willsbridge (where the station is) and going along the A431 looks like the only obvious way off but if there is a way to avoid the main road a bit more it would be great to know! I guess then either climbing Lansdown Lane from Upton Cheyney or up the lane to North Stoke are the best bets from the main road up to the Cotswold Way???

eskay

Upton Cheyney is probably the best bet, there are a few ways to get up there. Either directly through Bitton or, turn left at the first roundabout after the Bitton railway station (by Bitton FC) and follow the road through Oldland Common and then turn right just before a vets on the corner (past the ranks of shops).

I do Oldland – Upton Cheyney, Lansdown Lane onto the Costwold Way, across the golf course (on the bridleway!) then down into North Stoke and along the ridge and drop down into Weston village.

A good ride either on cx or mtb. Doubles my journey time but try to do it as much as possible during the summer.

What time do you normally leave (or have to get into Bath)? If you have not ridden it before I could show you one morning.

Edit: Thinking about it.. you can get off of the cycle path just by the vets in Oldland common. That would virtually cut out any main roads (until you got to Bath).

DanW
    Free Member

Thanks for that eskay. Seems like a much more sensible option than what I had in my mind. Could also extend ever so slightly to take in the rocky section around Coldharbour Farm in Beach 😀 The Lansdown Lane climb does seem like the most sensible and direct route though.

Thank you too for the kind offer of a guide. I don’t commute but was more thinking of a Sunday ride to Bristol via Englishcombe, Stanton Prior, Woolard, Pensford, East Dundry, Rocks Lane, Bourton Combe… then a play around Ashton Court and Leigh Woods before finding a different way back home. Could be a long one! 😀

eskay

Sounds like a good ride, have fun!

Put this postcode into google maps: BS30 9TJ

You should see close by ‘Redfield Hill’. Go up that, then left down Beach Hill, left at the bottom up to crossroads, then turn right to Upton Cheyney and then follow instructions above.

When you look at the postcode, to your left you should see the cycle path.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bath to Bristol Cycle Path Closure.’ is closed to new replies.